• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Please Please Please bag fish correctly!!

I have just gotten home and all the black fin calvus I just got were upsidown in the bag. There is not air in the bag and more than 50% water in the bag. I had to plop the fish in the tank and hope for the best. I hope they make it.:confused: I am a little frustrated more for the fishes health than anything. If you can not bag correctly please just do not bring the fish. It is the humane thing to do for the fish.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bag your fish correctly.:wacko:

dogofwar

CCA Members
It's never a bad idea to bring some spare bags/chlorine remover/bands to the meeting/auction...just in case any bags are leaking or otherwise look in need of a re-bagging.

I'm also a fan of dropping a small piece of polyfilter in bags. Never hurts. And PRIME can work wonders.

Is that a bottle of PRIME in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

maddog10

Members
Bagging fish is an issue we have tried to address a couple of times.

Were the calvus double bagged?

dogofwar

CCA Members
A tip for sellers: don't feed your fish for 2-3 days prior to selling. Hungry fish make for less ammonia in bags.

Bagging fish is an issue we have tried to address a couple of times.

Were the calvus double bagged?

yes double bagged but only a over hand knot closing it not twisting, no rubber bands, and no double knots. I think one of the three things I just mentioned could have helped the situation.:)

I think I need to bring some supplies to help situations like these too. :cool:

The lights are off but they are sitting on the bottom. They are not laying on their sides. From what Mike told me thats normal behavior for these guys. As I have not had calvus before myself. We will see by morning.

I only recently started reading about people just dropping their fish in their tanks. I have never done this until tonight and it seems like it might pay off. It was the only option that I had.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
The lights are off but they are sitting on the bottom. They are not laying on their sides. From what Mike told me thats normal behavior for these guys. As I have not had calvus before myself. We will see by morning.

I only recently started reading about people just dropping their fish in their tanks. I have never done this until tonight and it seems like it might pay off. It was the only option that I had.

Yes, live and learn. All good points so far. I have never had Calvus, even in my African days. They seem cool fish:wub:. I hope they make it. We do need to get folks to do some better bagging though:angry:. Quite a few bags looked sub-standard and many were not double:angry3:.

Just dropping them in is the only way to fly:jumpy:. Glad it seemed so for you.

George

lonlangione

Members
Bagging fish is not hard to do. As I was auctioning fish off I saw some fish in bags that were gasping. I would be more than happy to give a small demonstration on bagging fish. I never to be an expert, but I have litterally bagged 1,000's of fish in my day from my early days working at That Fish Place to the 14 years of owning my own shop.

Lonny

mrkillie

Members
It's never a bad idea to bring some spare bags/chlorine remover/bands to the meeting/auction...just in case any bags are leaking or otherwise look in need of a re-bagging.

I'm also a fan of dropping a small piece of polyfilter in bags. Never hurts. And PRIME can work wonders.

Is that a bottle of PRIME in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

A true fish head always has with him at fish functions:

1) A styro
2) Extra bags of at least 6 inch width. Preferably various widths.
3) A sample size bottle (or larger) of stresscoat or similar.

I always do, so feel free to ask me at future meetings if you need something! (Of course, I will probably not give you my styro :))

Joel

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
My fish from Sarah and Julie couldn't have been bagged better. Not only were they baggged correctly and professionally, neither one of them can count as I had an extra fish in each bag!!! Now that's service :)

The Calvus laying around on the bottom is perfectly normal, especially in a tank where there is no activity. What worries me is the fact that they were on thier sides when you got home, that's not a sign of stress but distress!!! Wether it be from lack of oxygen, fouled water, or something else, it will be interesting to see how much damage was done, hopefully the damage was very minimal and they'll shake it right off. Glad to hear they are belly down now. Be sure to give them something to hide in or behind. These are very shy fish, they will appreciate a place that they can chill in where they can't see you. It's not uncommon for people to get them and not see them for the first couple weeks. I think the yellow calvus will be more active sooner because they are in with the mobas. They relax when there are other fish moving about, so don't fret if the yellow's are out and about and the inkfins are still hiding. You got my number bro, if you have any questions or concerns...

Last edited:
This morning I could not wait to go and check on everyone.

It looks like everyone made it. YAY

Yeh None of the calvus are really doing much more than sitting in one place but they are all def. alive. I would peobably be stting pretty still the day after a near death experience too.

maddog10

Members
Calvus and Compressiceps can survive stuck in tight places (even out of water) for quite a while. I had a compressiceps that stayed in it's cave, upside down and out of water (over a tank) for more than 30 minutes before it finally let go and fell into the tank. The fish suffered no ill effects.

longstocking

Members
I have seen comps/calvus laying on their sides and they pulled through it. They don't ship well ! Infact, I have found if you ship them in more water than usual they ship better. Same thing with Paracyps. Now I saw the bag you are talking about.... a little too much water.

Lonnie.... I think that is great you are willing !! Then I don't have to do it :p

This is something the board has discussed.... maybe we should make it a priority.

Charlutz

Members
First priority is to bag the fish correctly. Second priority is to inspect the fish when you buy them. If the runner hands you a bag of gasping or dead fish, either speak up immediately so the club can assist before the transaction is complete or fix the problem yourself. Not singling you out Patrick and glad the fish made it, but if the bag needs more air, open it up and retie it. Suffocating fish will perk up almost instantly once you give them some air.

dogofwar

CCA Members
"Suffocating fish will perk up almost instantly once you give them some air."

Works with people, too :)

Also, if the water in the bag is REALLY stinky dirty, it's usually better to pour some out and add some (treated) tap water than to leave them in it. Although the water parameters probably won't match exactly, ammonia will kill...

Matt

longstocking

Members
Actually this is something that Julie and I have figured out.

When you get fish in ( Like I did on the box excahnge )... I had to rebag all the fish the next day that were donated.

You shouldn't just change some of the water. That will kill them as well.... depending on the fish...

Change all of the water..... much better for them. Bag water is horrible for fish as soon a you open the bag.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Agreed.

For the dexterity challenged, like me, though, pouring out 90% of the water (just enough to keep the fish covered) and replacing with tap / water conditioner reduces the chances of dropping one or both bags and fish :)