• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Plant die off

jstlstn

Members
Good morning everyone. I am duping into the planted tank thing and have a question. So I have a 20 with some syndontis fluorite bed. I brought some Amazon swords at the last meeting and was wondering how long should die off last. Oh I had some feet tabs in there for some Anubis. I also use seachem during water changes. Sorry for the spelling in the dentist and this came to mind. I don't see any new growth.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
How long have you had this tank up and running? In my experience, plants often make the switch from one tank to another more easily if the new tank is established.

Are the dying leaves being replaced with new growth? If "yes", I wouldn't worry about it. If "no", then another factor (e.g., lighting, water parameters, fertilizers) may be the issue.

Anubias grow best when attached to a rock or piece of driftwood. Don't bury the roots.

Blaise

jstlstn

Members
How long have you had this tank up and running? In my experience, plants often make the switch from one tank to another more easily if the new tank is established.

Are the dying leaves being replaced with new growth? If "yes", I wouldn't worry about it. If "no", then another factor (e.g., lighting, water parameters, fertilizers) may be the issue.

Anubias grow best when attached to a rock or piece of driftwood. Don't bury the roots.

Blaise

It is an established tank i already had some anubias growing on drift wood and some small clay pots with the syndotis in it. I will check my parameters tomorrow when i get home. I did add some mbunas along with the sword needed to put them in there for grow out. They are not uproot the plants but i plan on moving them once the get a little bigger to my 40 gal bmuna tank.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Mbuna will eat your plants. It's what they do. If you want to save money on car..... Geico could make a bunch of fish nerds happy with that commercial....

Even the juvies will snack on your plants, including the Anubias. They will bite Anubias and pull off leaves but won't eat them. Also, I had Anubias attached to driftwood, but my synodontis will chew on the rhizomes. I don't think they do it intentionally but it's enough to bother the Anubias and causes the rhizome to start dying off. :angry3:

jstlstn

Members
Mbuna will eat your plants. It's what they do. If you want to save money on car..... Geico could make a bunch of fish nerds happy with that commercial....

Even the juvies will snack on your plants, including the Anubias. They will bite Anubias and pull off leaves but won't eat them. Also, I had Anubias attached to driftwood, but my synodontis will chew on the rhizomes. I don't think they do it intentionally but it's enough to bother the Anubias and causes the rhizome to start dying off. :angry3:

Now That's good to know my only option to fixing this situation is to switch a breeding pair of Nenolamprologus Brichardi in with the plants and move the synodontis and bmuna to the 55. Please tell me that would work at least until I can get rid of them. Pretty fish but they breed way to much.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
If the leaves on the swords are melting, especially if this is true for new growth, the water is likely too hard/has too high a pH for them.

If the leaves are looking torn/tatty, the fish are getting at them, as Shawn said.

If you want a planted rift tank, I'd recommend Cyperus and vals, though the fish might munch these too.

Blaise