• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Planning Breeding Racks

Termato

Board of Directors
Looking nice..its like that corner was destined for that!

Any reason for breeding angels in particular? given the resources you are working with and the variety of information/source available on the forum, I would go for something more unique...just my 2 cents...(hmm....electrc blue acaras??, I don't know anything about keeping or breeding them, but I can a see some demand)

The ONLY reason I'm breeding them is because I've had these little guys since they were weeeeee big.
showing-small-thing-gesture-female-caucasian-hand-gesturing-amount-isolated-black-64626004.jpg

They've been spawning forever and have never had a successful batch of fry so I want to see what they look like. I'm going to have a little more patience with them this time. They keep terminating the eggs so I may have to let them lay the eggs and then remove them and hatch it myself. I just hope they use the pot and no the glass.

The Electric Blue Acaras are already spawning.

The Matumbi Hunters will be going into their new home soon once the rack is done. I'm going to have a sand bottom 30G Long on this tank for them to breed in.

I'll have three pairs of german blue rams in 10 Gallons. I feel like i have to change their set up a little bit and make it more natural. They don't seem as comfortable right now. I might go with a lightly planted tank for them instead of a bare bottom.

Now, I just have to wait till some of the many discus I have pair up.

Termato

Board of Directors
Thanks Dhaval!

Here is the stand for the 75 and 33. The 75 goes in the middle with the 33s above it. I made the stand so I could fit another 75 on top if I wanted to later on. I'd probably have to add another support though. I'll have two of these set up eventually but I only need one for now. I have to make sure I'll have enough space for the other racks, too. I'll probably add another support where the middle long brace is JUST for safety purposes so I don't have so much weight hanging on screws. Yea, so almost done with this one.

2016-03-14.jpg

Last edited:

Termato

Board of Directors
How are you attaching the beams you have in the middle of your stands?

I put it in two 30-40 degree toe nails. All the rest are end nails. It was the main reason I added the two middle supports you'll see. I didn't want anything to give although where I put the support it wouldn't prevent the middle section from giving out. I was thinking about adding more support but I don't think it's necessary and it seems pretty sturdy.

Cart of wood #2:
2016-03-15.jpg

After I posted up that picture of the 75/33 stand, I noticed I had forgotten to brace for the 33. I ended up cutting the piece of wood about a 1/4 inch too short. The other side fit perfectly though. I'm getting more wood later and it's holding on fine so I'll just fix that when I build the last stand.

2016-03-15.jpg

The stand for the 125 came out really nice. I do have to add some plywood though to add shelves, etc. That will come later. I don't have to fill this tank until I get back from Brazil so I have some time. It's good to get it in place. The stand is currently 2-3" shorter than the stand for the 150G but when this is completed with plywood wrapped around it, etc, etc. it will be the same height.
2016-03-15.jpg

And here is the stand for the 210G. It's done with 2x6s instead of 2x4s on the bottom for insurance purposes. This picture also gives you a good view on how I constructed everything. I took this approach to all of the stands. Also, because it's wider, I wanted to give it more support on the middle bar.

2016-03-15.jpg

I did the stands from smallest to largest. The quality of the stand drastically improved throughout each build, of course. I have one last stand to build. Oh, I forgot to mention...Christine (my gf) and I decided to put the 210G in the bedroom. JUUUUUUST to be safe. Mainly so the two biggest tanks aren't sitting next to each other. I figured it's the best way to help distribute the weight in our situation.

Last edited:

zendog

Looks like you'll have an awesome setup.

I'm not a structural engineer and I'm sure folks who have built a lot of stands will have a bit better understanding of how sturdy these are. But are you at all concerned about lateral stability? The end nailed pieces certainly give you great support strength up and down, and maybe the width of the 2x4 ends against the tops and bottoms is enough. But a piece of 2x4 diagonally across the back is cheap insurance just in case of a minor earth quake or someone stumble and falls against a tank. This is more for the longer stands than for the stands for the 20s.

But I just dropped a rock through a 10 gallon tank I was setting up and had to clean up the water so I'm extra paranoid...

Looks like you'll have an awesome setup.

I'm not a structural engineer and I'm sure folks who have built a lot of stands will have a bit better understanding of how sturdy these are. But are you at all concerned about lateral stability? The end nailed pieces certainly give you great support strength up and down, and maybe the width of the 2x4 ends against the tops and bottoms is enough. But a piece of 2x4 diagonally across the back is cheap insurance just in case of a minor earth quake or someone stumble and falls against a tank. This is more for the longer stands than for the stands for the 20s.

But I just dropped a rock through a 10 gallon tank I was setting up and had to clean up the water so I'm extra paranoid...

agreed.. u could use a big X from corner to corner on the back made of thin steel rope or strip of sheet metal screwed in place. lots of shelfs have that sort of stabilizer. or even diagonal wood cut at 45*s on each end. Its probably sturdy enough, but I would personally give it some extra just to be sure. Looks great tho.

Termato

Board of Directors
thats true.

victor are you putting plywood on the 75 rack as well?

Yea, before I fill the 75G I am going to place a flat piece of plywood on that lower section. I will also do that to the top where the 33G currently sits. Right now only the 33G will be filled (for about a month until I get back form Brazil) and then I will install plywood on all of the stands. The plan is to paint the plywood and then attach them to all the stands. I'm going to place styrofoam in between the glass and wood for the large 100G+ tanks to absorb shocks and irregularities.

Right now, the 75 fits in so perfectly that I can't move it sideways. It touches both side 2x4s. At least for now, while waiting on the plywood and having that 75G underneath, it should be more than enough to hold.

You can see how crazy things are getting. I have the 150, 125, 75, 33/75 on the right. You see three 10 gallons on the window. The rack of 20s with a 10G bellow it. I need to get another 20G because...why not?....*facepalm*. 75G, 40G and the 30G on the floor holding fish while I set things up.
2016-03-15.jpg

I put the 3rd 75G in the rack just to hold it. I need to fix the tank before it's filled and place plywood on this stand (like mentioned above):
2016-03-15.jpg

The monster fits into the bedroom! I got the stand and tank in place. Looks to be solid. That thing is on another level of heavy:
2016-03-15.jpg

Did you check to see whether you will max out your electrical usage?

1. Go to your breaker box and find out which outlets are on which breaker. Label the outlet covers with a number that corresponds to the breaker in the box.
2. Find out the amperage that each tank will draw. Plug your lights, heater, air pump, filter,etc... into a power strip and plug the power strip into a Kill A Watt to get the amperage draw for each tank.
3. Don't forget to measure the amperage of non-aquarium related household items that may be on the same circuit. TV's, computers, vacuum cleaners, etc...
4. Most home circuits are 15amp breakers. If you have one aquarium running 3 amps and two at 5 amps that leaves you just enough to run a TV or vacuum cleaner on the same circuit.

Nothing worse than turning on the TV and all your fish tanks shut off.

Andy

lkelly

Members
Did you check to see whether you will max out your electrical usage?

1. Go to your breaker box and find out which outlets are on which breaker. Label the outlet covers with a number that corresponds to the breaker in the box.
2. Find out the amperage that each tank will draw. Plug your lights, heater, air pump, filter,etc... into a power strip and plug the power strip into a Kill A Watt to get the amperage draw for each tank.
3. Don't forget to measure the amperage of non-aquarium related household items that may be on the same circuit. TV's, computers, vacuum cleaners, etc...
4. Most home circuits are 15amp breakers. If you have one aquarium running 3 amps and two at 5 amps that leaves you just enough to run a TV or vacuum cleaner on the same circuit.

Nothing worse than turning on the TV and all your fish tanks shut off.

Andy

Or even worse, having some things on a timer and the tanks shut off when you aren't around.

Termato

Board of Directors
Or even worse, having some things on a timer and the tanks shut off when you aren't around.

AHHAHAHAHA too funny you guys mention this. I did this about 3 months back when cleaning my apartment. I had two tanks and my computer all on the same breaker. I turned on the vacuum on the same outlet as the two tanks. It blew the outlet and didn't trip the breaker. So mad at myself.

When I set up the 125, 75, and the 210 I'll definitely have to do that. I was able to get away with what I have set up now because I did a very similar set up to what I had before (except computer and 3 tvs got replaced with 4 tanks).

Here is the Iwagumi style tank after I moved it to over the fireplace:
2016-03-15.jpg

And this was the 75G that I had the angels in. It's now a discus only tank:
2016-03-15.jpg

Forester

Members
Looking good! Are those wilds from josh? What's ur WC schedule on those?

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Termato

Board of Directors
boeseman look good. mine are usually not that blue. only in the morning

Thanks! Yea, mine are a lot bluer in the morning, too. I think the light is making it look more blue than they are but one male is always nice and deep blue.

Looking good! Are those wilds from josh? What's ur WC schedule on those?

Thanks! I do WC every other day on the tanks. Every day was too much hahaha. On the bigger ones that are 100+ I do 3x a week. Luckily I only have one of those set up so far. Those are the wild ones from Josh but with some other domestic ones. I'm only mixing them for now because It's the cleanest tank for them all. It's working out so far and I can easily tell them apart for later.

Termato

Board of Directors
Everything is in place. Set up. DONE! *wipes sweat off forehead* I can't imagine how much work it takes to run and set up a fish room like Christines. I'm getting a 50ft hose with a 480gph powerhead to do water changes with. Drain with gravity. Fill the entire bathtub with water and turn the pump on to fill the tanks up.

I posted this in my other thread but I might as well post it here, too. I took a video of the entire place and going into each tank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0lEjDVXZzA

I need any advise on breeding possible. Trying to get these fish to spawn I feel will be challenging. I have angels, acaras, rams, and discus to breed.

Here is a picture of the final set up (excluding the bedroom which has 210, 33, 20):
2016-03-17.jpg

i saw your video looks awsome. Im wondering what is going to be your plan for choosing fish for ur fish room? will you be focusing on south american or on certain species?

Termato

Board of Directors
i saw your video looks awsome. Im wondering what is going to be your plan for choosing fish for ur fish room? will you be focusing on south american or on certain species?

Thanks. I have a very good feeling like I should save the space in the 125 and 210 for fry / growing out fry. If all the fish I plan on breeding all start to spawn I feel I'd shortly be overrun with fish if I didn't have spare room.

If within the next 3 months I am not overrun then I may get a stingray for the 210. Then it'd have to become a bigger grow out tank for fish the stingray wouldn't eat. All thing I'm thinking about right now.

I do want to stick with South American cichlids and see how deep I can go. With my trip to Brazil coming up, it'll be fun to see what I have access to down there and what connections I can make. That's another reason to leave some room open. Maybe I can make a good connection and get a nice shipment of something different. We'll have to see.

This time around I wont be going to the jungle but on my next trip down, I want to go to my local beach where there are nice rivers (Illheus, Bahia, Brazil) and then to Manaus, Brazil to get into the jungle easier. It's the only major city in the deep jungle...or at least as close to it you can get.

I love discus but they are like the little princess fish of the aquarium. They like to be spoiled but they look beautiful. I want to start finding dwarf South American cichlids (like rams with some attitude) we aren't seeing many of here. I have 8 months left in the apartment and by then I'll hopefully be making another trip to Brazil to actually catch fish instead of just making connections.

When I moved in, I didn't plan on having so many fish. So when my lease is up in November, I'll be looking to move into a house. I really want to build out a HUGE fish room. HUUUUGE lol.