• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pics from Uruguay Trip

rich_one

Members
Matt,

Thanks for sharing the pics with us! Looks like you had a blast, man! Sounds like you got some really cool fish... you actually have me somewhat interested in a pike now... a first!

-Rich

dogofwar

CCA Members
They're really interesting fish - predators and a whole range of aggression (from relatively peaceful to fish that will bite others in half) and size (6" or so to really big)... I've had a few for awhile now and they grow on you (literally and figuratively).

The other guys on the trip took back a bunch more big ones than me. I really liked the Cardozo ones :)

Matt

Matt,

Thanks for sharing the pics with us! Looks like you had a blast, man! Sounds like you got some really cool fish... you actually have me somewhat interested in a pike now... a first!

-Rich

BevN

Members
Did Ken manage to bring back any extras of that dragonfly tetra he had posted a pic of?

As for Bolivia there are no commercial exports from there that I am aware of. Not even the largest transhipers have that one listed on their list of available countries.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Ken and I were collecting as many of the dragonflies as we could. They are HARD to keep alive (along with some other pretty red tetras that we were after) for a day in a bag or bucket, let alone the whole trip.

I'm pretty sure that he was able to bring back a few. Not sure if they made it through the trip and quarantine. Ken was giving them a lot of attention so I bet some made it!

They're really cool fish (I think have some pics of us catching them)...will post when I get back from travel...

Matt

YSS

Members
Very cool. How long were you there and how much did the trip cost? I am thinking about going on an Amazon excursion with Heiko Bleher in the next few years and the cost of that trip not including airfare is anywhere from 2K ~ 3K in Euros.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Yun,

I was down there for 8 days...most trips are a bit longer.

Cost of the trip (all inclusive - other than alcohol, including export permits) is between $1,500 and $2,000, depending on the number of people in the group. We had some last minute cancelations, so it was just 3 of us + Felipe (and Pedro, driving a 12-person van). We were on the road basically the whole trip (eating out, staying in hotels, etc.).

Airfare was next to free (just paid taxes + an extra bag on the way back) because of points. Last trip, tickets were about $650 round trip. They were running a bit higher (~$1,000) this time but I didn't have to pay :)

I'd love to go on a trip to the Amazon some time as well. But - if you can't tell - I really like Uruguay: the people, the food, the vibe...and even the fish.

I think the trips are very different situations: land (Uruguay) vs. boat (Peru); temperate (Uruguay) vs. tropical (Peru); hotels and restaurants (Uruguay) vs. boat and fish (Peru); bringing fish back in your luggage (Uruguay) vs. having an exporter ship for you (Peru)...and last but not least: Felipe :happy0065:(Uruguay) vs. Heiko (Peru)...

Matt

Very cool. How long were you there and how much did the trip cost? I am thinking about going on an Amazon excursion with Heiko Bleher in the next few years and the cost of that trip not including airfare is anywhere from 2K ~ 3K in Euros.

TOMMYN3D

Members
Thanks Matt for posting about your trip and the pictures. No matter what the cost is, trips like this are once in a life time experience.I would love to do something like this one day, but that "one day" may never come if I keep making excuses. So good for you that you did go.

Did any of you guys collect any Gymnogeophagus Balzanii on this trip? Do you have any other pictures that you can share?;)

Were all glad you made it back safe.

Tommy

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks Tommy - it's been twice in a lifetime and I want to make it a third (in two years)! Easiest way is to save airline points and be flexible in your schedule. The rest is just setting aside the money. Funny thing is that something out of the world like this has cost about the same as a lot of "regular" vacations (seen what going to DisneyWorld costs these days)?

Didn't collect G. balzanii this trip. They're only found in Western Uruguay. Here's a picture of the ones we caught last trip (near Bella Union, Uruguay) - not your ordinary strain of balzanii. I'm growing out some of these (although it takes awhile)...

Matt

Thanks Matt for posting about your trip and the pictures. No matter what the cost is, trips like this are once in a life time experience.I would love to do something like this one day, but that "one day" may never come if I keep making excuses. So good for you that you did go.

Did any of you guys collect any Gymnogeophagus Balzanii on this trip? Do you have any other pictures that you can share?;)

Were all glad you made it back safe.

Tommy

DSC04950.jpg

TOMMYN3D

Members
I seen this picture lately doing a search on G. Balzanii. I picked up two last week at the ECC auction and I have been doing researchon these guys. I wont high jack this tread asking about care for these guys, I'll send you a pm.

...and your right the price on a vacation to Disney or Las Vegas at a nice hotel stay and a few shows and entertainment will run you about the same as a trip like this.

Welcome back

dogofwar

CCA Members
The battle with ich continues... just about every tank with wild fish has developed it to some level. Some got it earlier (and is gone or almost gone)...other later (and I'm dealing with it now)...

So far the best approach has been to salt, increase temps to 88 or so and use Ich meds. The challenge is that Uruguayan fish aren't tropical fish...so their ability to withstand hot temps seems more limited than your average tropical. In addition to the tetras and cory ordeal, I've lost a handful of fish that just couldn't take the heat (or maybe increase in heat). And a couple of eel cats that didn't like the ich meds + heat.

The other thing that's really tough about dealing with ich in multiple tanks is that you have to be REALLY careful about nets, siphons, hoses, etc. I have a bucket overdosed with ich meds that I soak / dip everything in between use. It's great fun. And I can't wait until it's over :(

Anyway, I also got a UV sterilizer. I was at Congressional Aquarium on Friday checking out ich meds / asking questions (I don't usually deal with ich except under strange circumstances like this) and I saw that an new 15W unit was on sale for <$100. Pretty awesome. It's already in use...

Matt

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Sounds like you are already doing what I would do. You really have my sympathy Matt. Tony told me what you are going through. It has got to be bad getting them home from SA and then having ich take them . . . but it comes with the territory. Happened to us after every Peru trip.

Good luck curing it.

George

Mikeinco

Members
The battle with ich continues... just about every tank with wild fish has developed it to some level. Some got it earlier (and is gone or almost gone)...other later (and I'm dealing with it now)...

So far the best approach has been to salt, increase temps to 88 or so and use Ich meds. The challenge is that Uruguayan fish aren't tropical fish...so their ability to withstand hot temps seems more limited than your average tropical. In addition to the tetras and cory ordeal, I've lost a handful of fish that just couldn't take the heat (or maybe increase in heat). And a couple of eel cats that didn't like the ich meds + heat.

The other thing that's really tough about dealing with ich in multiple tanks is that you have to be REALLY careful about nets, siphons, hoses, etc. I have a bucket overdosed with ich meds that I soak / dip everything in between use. It's great fun. And I can't wait until it's over :(

Anyway, I also got a UV sterilizer. I was at Congressional Aquarium on Friday checking out ich meds / asking questions (I don't usually deal with ich except under strange circumstances like this) and I saw that an new 15W unit was on sale for <$100. Pretty awesome. It's already in use...

Matt

Matt I am glad you had what appears to be a very good time. Wish I could have made the trip. Anyway, treating ich in Uruguayan fish is very tricky. The only times I have really had a problem with ich has been with my gymnos and fish from that area. Its a real hassel. I would just use quick cure and not mess with the temp though, especially raising it to extreme high temps. Good luck with your new fish and you can send me one of those Pikes anytime you want. :)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Great to hear from you, Mike!

Fortunately, the "Cardozo" pikes are doing great in quarantine...eating the heck out of NLS and growing before my eyes...

I think I'm turning the corner on the ich treatments and will be that much wiser two years from now (next trip!): heavy, heavy salt for the fish right out of the bag (like 2 handfuls / 15g tank) + quick cure at half dose right away (for all but scaless cats) + tons of aeration.

All in all, I primarily lost cats and tetras to ich / ich treatment. Lost a handful of cichlids (mostly little ones) to ich / a run-away heater and a couple more fish to stupid stuff (a pike jumped out of a tiny hole in lid; a chanchito smashed his head on something and never recovered; male Gymnogeo killed another male in quarantine tank). All in all, I'm still well over 85% in survival rate through quarantine and I think I still have groups / pairs of all of the Gymnogeos I brough back...

Matt

Matt I am glad you had what appears to be a very good time. Wish I could have made the trip. Anyway, treating ich in Uruguayan fish is very tricky. The only times I have really had a problem with ich has been with my gymnos and fish from that area. Its a real hassel. I would just use quick cure and not mess with the temp though, especially raising it to extreme high temps. Good luck with your new fish and you can send me one of those Pikes anytime you want. :)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Unfortunately I brough back more cats than survived quarantine :)

What I've still got are some Ancistrus from "Aguas Blancas" (the yellow spotted ones I posed a pic of earlier in the thread), some eel cats and some golden Hisonotus from India Muerta. Maybe also a sand cat.

Here are some - actually a small fraction - of catfish pics from the trip... It's amazing how many and how many different catfish that there are!

Matt

Uruguay 060.jpg

Uruguay 135.jpg

Uruguay 160.jpg

Uruguay 184.jpg

Uruguay 238.jpg

Uruguay 242.jpg