• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

PETSMART WAS AWFUL

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Only thing I can suggest is try another Petsmart. I guess you could do the legwork and contact Marineland with the name and number of the Petsmart you went to.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Assertiveness training might be in order...

...that soft-spoken thing will only get a body so far.

This just in: Northeastern US tropical fish association planning PR campaign against Petsmart, cichlid club president burns frequent buyer card, vows "reckoning".

Nuke 'em 'til they glow..jpg

fischfan13

Banned
After 20+ years working for the State I took a job working in a large orange box-store. From that experience I learned, even more, to dislike large retailers and their practices.
The Petschmart Manager was non-combative, as I was. I must have been labeled "the guy who just came in with a paper bag loaded with nine heaters" by the manager, as a few minutes after he walked into his office I had five employees stop what they were doing and come to the front of the store to walk by the "bag". One of the "acne-enraged" employees took it upon herself to ask about my tanks, and another starting to pick my brain about the heaters.

I guess I have to take time out of my schedule on Tuesday to call Marineland...maybe I will threaten them with me not going to the ACA Convention. :lol:

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Luck of the draw

One of the "acne-enraged" employees...

I always used the phrase "terminal acne" but this is much better -makes the condition active and is just flat out more vicious sounding.

Guessing you'd have ever so slightly better luck talking to their rep at ACA or just trading them with Ken's assuming they're coming. Not like anyone will be needing heaters for a few months - I just filled an empty 5 gallon with all of mine last week.

chriscoli

Administrator
My petsmart gave me store credit for the 5 heaters I had purchased there, but then tried to charge me for the bucket that I brought them in when I went out through the checkout line with some other stuff I needed.

But the store credit was given with no questions. I was ready for a battle, but the manager seemed pretty on top of it with the recall.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sigh. I need to return some heaters as well. Was planning stopping by the local Petsmart... had no idea that this could be a PITA.

Bring on the acne-enraged.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
It went easy as could be when I returned mine a month ago. They didn't even compare wattages on the old heaters with the new ones.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Is there a Petsmart in Frederick...or just the one in Germantown?

As an aside, more and more people from my neck of the woods are making the trek to the Costco in Frederick to avoid the one here.

Matt - who also hates box store (and stores that assume that all of their customers are thieves by checking everyone's purchases vs. receipt on the way out)

It went easy as could be when I returned mine a month ago. They didn't even compare wattages on the old heaters with the new ones.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I went to the PetSmart in Frederick. It is on 355 next to the Home Depot and Target. Usually pretty well kept and the employees are pretty helpful (but not all that knowledgeable).

Tink

Members
Same thing happened at my local PetsMart. First question was did I buy them there and how long ago. I told the mgr. that it was a recall, to which she replied that if it were infact a recall PetsMart would have sent me a letter in the mail. Without the letter she would do nothing for me, but went on to point out that the store doesn't even carry the Marineland heaters any longer. To which I replied, it must have something to do with that RECALL.

Petco on the other hand took them back no problem.

secuono

Members
So, what heater is recommended to replace the Marineland? Mine is working wonderfully, finally a heater that works. Do I need a receipt?

Ophelia77

Members
I inquired at our local Petsmart(s), to which I got the same reply of "I needed a receipt or recall letter etc." Since we purchased ours from Kensfish.com, we called him up. He was VERY accommodating. All we had to do was send him an extra note with an online order for the Marineland VisiTherms (which is what he replaces them with), and shipped them out. He asked us to send the old ones back (15 in a box LOL that was fun) and that was that. Real easy, since all of our stealths were still being used :O

STATMATT

Members
stores that assume that all of their customers are thieves by checking everyone's purchases vs. receipt on the way out)

This is not leagle to do unless it is at a club like COSTCO, BJs or Sams. You sign your rights away to be a member.

They must have probable cause just like an officer to search your bags. Especially after purchase. I just walk past the goons at the door. They try to chase me sometimes, but they aren't allowed to walk much further than the front door. I usually chide them with something like if I've done something illegal then call the police, otherwise leave me alone.

But that pisses me off as well when they try to ensure I haven't stolen anything.

Nowaday, all the heaters are crap since they all made in China. Even the Ebo Jager that is still made in Germany is no exception. I just got a 300watt E-J and it stucked on overnight. By the time I found out, the 55gal tank was at 95F. Good thing that still offer a 3yr warranty.

The Petsmart Topfin heater is the worst. They all broke within a year. One even stopped working within the 1st week. I promptly returned the POS.