• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

paralabidochromis chromogynos spawning advice?

captmicha

Members
Couldn't find a profile on the forum on my phone, so I apologize if I'm missing it.

I'm looking for some advice for spawning these guys. I think mine are of spawning age now, have a group of five with I think 3 females and two males.

Have played around with conditioning and water changes and temp, but haven't seen spawning yet, just territory defending.

I have a pile of rocks in one corner and a few caves, rubble and a sand substrate. Maybe I need more rock piles.

They're in a 55 gallon with two Goldfin Kadangos. (I know I should have three, and they need a bigger tank. Working on it.)

captmicha

Members
Which ones were your males? It wasn't obvious.
It's not obvious to me either! Lol.

I think they're the darker, more colorful ones at the bottom on the left and middle of the tank. The three females seem to have more of a whitish body and less fin colorage.

It's not very obvious to me. But I've had them growing out since September of last year. They were about an inch and a half when I got them, so it seems about time for some spawning to happen?

The two are holding down these two territories pretty stable, but they don't seem to allow what I think are the three females who hover over into them. I've seen some sand sifting from the males.

I put some smooth jazz on and they just looked at me funny and asked when's dinner.

lkelly

Members
It's not obvious to me either! Lol.

I think they're the darker, more colorful ones at the bottom on the left and middle of the tank. The three females seem to have more of a whitish body and less fin colorage.

It's not very obvious to me. But I've had them growing out since September of last year. They were about an inch and a half when I got them, so it seems about time for some spawning to happen?

The two are holding down these two territories pretty stable, but they don't seem to allow what I think are the three females who hover over into them. I've seen some sand sifting from the males.

I put some smooth jazz on and they just looked at me funny and asked when's dinner.

It's possible that you have all females. Males will typically take on a darker blue hue and have red egg spots with red on the fringes of the tail. None of the ones in your video had that obvious coloration. If they are big enough you could try venting as well.

captmicha

Members
It's possible that you have all females. Males will typically take on a darker blue hue and have red egg spots with red on the fringes of the tail. None of the ones in your video had that obvious coloration. If they are big enough you could try venting as well.

Venting makes me very nervous. I'll see if I can spot any egg spots.

Leffler817

CCA Members
It seems like all of the males on google, take that for what its worth, have three egg spots in a row along the tail. Videos show males having a metallic blue sheen to them while females look pale green or yellow-ish. Males have a lot more red on the fins than the females do.

I couldn't see either of the Goldfins. Are they the largest fish in the tank? They could be intimidating the chromogynos. If they're all the same size, you may just need to be patient and keep changing water.

captmicha

Members
Yeah, they're the two big guys in there.

It seems like all of the males on google, take that for what its worth, have three egg spots in a row along the tail. Videos show males having a metallic blue sheen to them while females look pale green or yellow-ish. Males have a lot more red on the fins than the females do.

I couldn't see either of the Goldfins. Are they the largest fish in the tank? They could be intimidating the chromogynos. If they're all the same size, you may just need to be patient and keep changing water.