• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Order question

JLW

CCA Members
With the exception of pre-ordered fish, which only come from a few wholesalers that I have virtually no problems with, all fish are held for at least a week before being released. If they're having any problems at all, they're held for longer and treated as necessary. I have three wholesalers I work heavily with that I have never had but a handful of DOA fishes from (and those usually from something like "bag popped in transit"), and have never had disease problems from, because they quarantine their fish -- these are the ones I do pre-orders with. Re-quarantining them isn't really needed.

A handful of fish, particularly wild fish, are treated prophylactically, especially wild cichlids that may be wormy. And, of course, some fish are just treated by conditioning. Many people have remarked that they buy, for instance, Oto cats elsewhere and can't keep them alive, but mine don't die -- that's because I feed the heck out of them before even considering releasing them. They're a fish that needs to eat constantly, and by the time they reach you, they've probably gone a week without any food. Most retailers don't feed them at all. They have a hard body, so it's tough to see when they're starved; I would say that about a third of them, upon arrival, are too far gone.

Now, with all that said, I absolutely recommend that aquarists always quarantine their fish. Treating a display tank is an absolute nightmare, and losing your pet fish just isn't worth the risk! :) I'm confident and stand behind my fish, but ... I'd still quarantine them -- it's better safe than sorry.