• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Opinions on aqueon power filters

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I got one as part of our monthly raffle a few months ago. I like the design of the pump being in the tank, but overall, I would say that the filter isn't that well made. There seems to be quite a bit of bypass of water around the filter media and the filter is very noisy with the "wet/dry" function. Although I haven't tried very hard, it doesn't seem if it would be very easy to replace the cartridges with your own media.

I wouldn't purchase one over another filter. Stick with an aquaclear and you'll be happier.

They are all that I use and they work fine for me. As long as you keep the cartridges clean there is no bypass, but once the cartridge clogs the water will go around or over the top (same is true for all power filters including Aquaclears).

But then again I am pretty biased.;)

Andy

CichlidJoe

Members
They work well and are quiet, but they clog up easily and there is not much room for adding bio media. I made the mistake of running 2 55/75's on my 55 Malawi tank. Purchasing the filters for them got to be a lot of money spent... I got sick of changing the mech filter every 2 weeks and there is 2 per hob. I ended up ordering a fluval 406, which has worked out much better IMO

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hawkman2000

Members
Don't have one myself, but the only benefit that I can see is having the pump in the tank side.

I got away from the filters that require replacement cartridges. I got REALLY tired of that.

samsmobb

Members
Sell them at petsmart pretty frequently because they are the quietest filter I've come across and that's what people want. I still always try to recommend aquaclears and marineland because upon the end their filters aren't as expensive.

Aqueon- Pros
Most quiet I've come across, self priming, easy to change cartridge, strong flexible plastic (aquaclears very brittle)

Cons
Not much space for biological bacteria, expensive filter cartridges that clog easily, can't really do many modifications to it as in add your own carbon or bio balls etc