• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

October meeting is almost here!

chriscoli

Administrator
I'm really looking forward to this coming meeting.....great speaker, great group buy.....

I just posted some stuff in MyGroupAuctions......get your stuff entered, too!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'm pretty excited as well. Can't wait to see Dave talk!

Also, remember folks, non-registered (non-donation) auction lots will not be accepted as will improperly-bagged auction lots. Too much going on before meetings for the staff to be taking care of these things for folks selling fish.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm really excited to have Dave here.

Think most clubs fly folks across the country and have group buys like this for their monthly meetings?

Matt

verbal

CCA Members
I'm really looking forward to this coming meeting.....great speaker, great group buy.....

I just posted some stuff in MyGroupAuctions......get your stuff entered, too!

Added a couple BAP entries
Soda Cichlids
Midnight Peacocks - F1

also some super red BN fry

verbal

CCA Members
Oooooh I was wondering who added the soda cichlids!

Normally it would be something I would do via private sale. However I figured it is a chance to show our speaker some of the cool fish we have in the club. They also show the importance of more than one person keeping a fish, since I lost most of my first group and didn't have success again until getting a pair from Matt Quinn.

dogofwar

CCA Members
...and I got mine in a CARES exchange with a buddy in Milwaukee... They spawned several times for me but (because I wasn't furloughed at the time) didn't have a chance to properly care for the fry.

I'm really happy that Jesse got them from me and is not breeding them!

Great job, Jesse, for keeping these going...

Without local breeders - the folks in OUR club - the cichlids available in the area would be restricted to whatever randomness that box stores and the remaining couple of LFS bother to stock...

And without OUR club bringing in great speakers like Dave...and doing group buys...all of us would be on our own - paying full freight for fish and shipping - for quality fish.

That's why it's so important to support our local fish breeders through decent bids in our auctions and marketplaces, especially on uber-rare CARES fish that folks BAP!

Matt

Normally it would be something I would do via private sale. However I figured it is a chance to show our speaker some of the cool fish we have in the club. They also show the importance of more than one person keeping a fish, since I lost most of my first group and didn't have success again until getting a pair from Matt Quinn.

chriscoli

Administrator
I was reading up on Soda cichlids.....seems like there is a lot of somewhat differing advice on how to keep them such that you don't lose your sanity trying to replicate their unusual water conditions, while still meeting their needs for spawning.

So, how are you (Matt and Jesse) keeping these unusual fish? Inquiring minds want to know before bidding on something so specialized.

dogofwar

CCA Members
They live and breed like rabbits in local tap water. I had mine at about 78 to 80 degrees in a 2'x2'x1' tank with PFS, driftwood, plastic plants and flowerpots...and Ameca splendens.

Matt

I was reading up on Soda cichlids.....seems like there is a lot of somewhat differing advice on how to keep them such that you don't lose your sanity trying to replicate their unusual water conditions, while still meeting their needs for spawning.

So, how are you (Matt and Jesse) keeping these unusual fish? Inquiring minds want to know before bidding on something so specialized.

verbal

CCA Members

I have mine in local tap water also. I keep mine warm - around 82, but other than that no super special care. They share a similar sized tank to Matt's with a few plecos. It does seem that stripping is required to get young, but other than temp that is the only "special" care I have needed to give them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think I was stripping a little too early (like 1 week)... Higher temps probably help the wigglers mature faster...

Matt

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I'll be there, I have to leave early because my sister has to be dropped off at her friend's batmitsfa.