• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New addtion/fish room

bschuhart

Members
Ok, I'm planning adding an addition to my house, it will be 2 levels.

Lower level -fish room and upper level Sun room. footprint is 20x14 ft.

So I need some thought's on infastructure for the fishroom. the walls will be poured concrete all the way to the floor joices above. It will have an metal outside door at ground level.

I plan on running directly to the fish room.

1. Electric: 60 amp sub pannel or higher if I can. I just converted my house from electric heat pump and hot water to gas heat and hot water, so I have some room to spare in my 200 amp service pannel.

2. Separate Heat/AC and may also tap into the central HAVC and suppliment w/ the extra unit which will be electric. (I don't want to use tank heaters.)

3. Sink with Hot and cold water and waste drain. Maybe an extra Hot water heater.

What special materials should I use to deal with the humidity?

Anything I'm missing? Just in the planning stages, I want to get the infasructure correct, I'll worry about the set up later.

mab

Members
Great project!

Glass tops and an air exchanger will deal with the humidty.

That's what I use to deal with humidity.

If you ever get to NOVA you are welcome to drop by to see my fishroom and to discuss lessons learned.

Michael

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Ben - A 2nd water heater may be overkill if you're planning on auto-waterchanging ... which better be in the plans. :p

Oh yeah - *DEFINITELY* install floor drains. One at each end of your racks would be nice down the road.

Last edited:
Go with a tankless water heater. You can find smaller units in the $200-$300 range that would be perfect for a fish room. They are more energy efficient than standard water heaters and you have the advantage of never running out of hot water.

Controlling humidity is one of the major environmental concerns in the fish room. Air handlers are the most energy efficient but a dehumidifier will also work well in many cases.

Be sure you seal the concrete (Drylock) so moisture does not soak into it and cause it to crumble over time.

Andy