• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need Some Assistance Please

Breezyod

Members
Alright so I got a Green Terror about 3 weeks ago. I found him at my LFS he was a bit beat up, his fins were torn up and didn't look to great he had tears etc... all over them. I figured I could get his fins back to normal fairly easy which pretty much was what was happening until a couple days ago when I noticed that he started to get some white cotton looking stuff on the tip of his dorsal fin and another spot like that on his Pectoral Fin. I just want to make sure that this is not some sort of parasite or anything like that, that can harm my fish or my other fish in the tank. If anyone can give me a definite answer of what it is and how I can get rid of it would very helpful.

008.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

Eyebedam

Members
Well the first 2 pics made me think the very very beginning stage of possibly ick but then the 3rd didn't look so. I'd suggest a 50% water change daily for the next few days, maybe raise your temps up a bit & add a little Epsom salt & just keep a eye on him. Maybe soak his foods in a little garlic also.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Greengirl

Members
One of my fish had a little cottony ball on his fins twice. It is actually something that can develop if your ammonia levels are too high. So definitely do several water changes. If you are brave enough, actually catch your fish and gently rub off the cotton ball with a wet paper towel. Removing the ball will not harm the fish, but you can also wait to let it fall off on its own. Let us know how he recovers, whatever you do.

Becca

Members
Aquarium salt... always aquarium salt.

Honestly, so long as you cover it well and weight down the lid (with air holes) you can treat a fish in a 5 gallon bucket with an air stone, especially this time of year. I've done it when one of the piranhas got beat up pretty bad. Daily water changes, 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon, really light on the food to help maintain water quality.

I have found, with physical injuries, cooler water can help. With diseases, this isn't the case. If a fish is beat up and can't/won't eat, cooling can slow the metabolism down and reduce swelling a little on injuries. Slow metabolism=lower food requirements. I'm not recommending it in this case, but I've done it. I'd never recommend going below the low end of normal range, either.

dogofwar

CCA Members
It's either fungus or lympho, in my opinion.

If it's fungus, it will respond to Pimafix and salt ("aquarium salt" is just expensive salt like you buy at the grocery store or at Home Depot in 50g bags. Iodozed or non...doesn't matter). It's worth a try.

If it's lympho, it will go away when the fish is comfortable (until the fish is stressed again and it re-appears). Of course Pima/Mela fix can't hurt...

Matt

neut

Members
That sounds really bad... So what can I do if it's a viral lymph I don't want my jack to get sick but I have no where to put my green terror.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
IMO the gt looks stressed, which would make it more susceptible to fungus or fungus like bacteria, especially where there's been fin damage. Treatment for me would be similar to what's already suggested, water changes, little salt, little melafix (some might say why melafix if it's fungus-- ime it helps repair fin damage and resist fungusing of damaged area-- aloe will do something similar), pimafix-- or some combination of these. You can also 'paint' the affected area with meth blue. A food with garlic might help some but I'd feed a stressed fish lightly at first.

If the gt is in with a jd I'd keep an eye out that the jd isn't chasing the gt, which could be adding stress. Otherwise, imo, you basically have a stressed/weakened fish that needs some nursing to regain strength, resistance, etc.