• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Nanos...the confessional

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Okay, I admit it. For the longest time, I had this absolute aversion to the idea of a "nano tank." I think it was part frustration and rebellion, from years of having to keep little tank by necessity in my bedroom growing up.."Enough!" And, another big part was the reefer crowd I ran with for many years. You know, the ones who asserted that a nano tank is essentially a "portable fish extermination device"- the "goldfish bowl of the 21st century." That sort of thing. I totally bought into that dumb idea.

fish-bowl-600_large.jpg

And it's funny, because my room as a kid, well into my teen years, was dominated by 2.5 (US) gallon and maybe some 5 gallon tanks. And I was really quite good at keeping fishes in them, if I say so myself. Killies, Bettas, assorted characins..you name it. I even bred my first cichlid, Pelvicachromis pulcher, in a 2.5 gallon tank! I remember using a 2.5 as a "growout" tank for the little killie, Pseudoepiplatys annulatus Monroviae. It was all I needed...I mean, I had management of water quality down to a science with those little tanks, and could change the water in like 8 of 'em in mere minutes! (click to read more)