• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Name That Fish!

Sonny Disposition

OK, if you've seen these photos before, disqualify yourselves. (This is about the only chance I'll get to stump Sarah, so I want to make it good.)

I'll give you a hint: it is a trick question.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Thanx for starting a new thread Sonny, we were already at 70 posts at the first Epic," NAME THAT FISH." :D

DeeCee

Members
Oh dang it it's ummmmm no wait it has a new name doesn't it...it's a ......it's a......oh :sign0055:

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
OK, if you've seen these photos before, disqualify yourselves. (This is about the only chance I'll get to stump Sarah, so I want to make it good.)

I'll give you a hint: it is a trick question.[/b]

Didn't the famous Bill Clinton once say, " I will not answer that trick question."

I believe he said that when he was being questioned about the Monica Lewinsky thingy where she was helping him with his crossword puzzle, right?

DeeCee

Members
Paratilapia Polleni ? All I could remember last night was "small spots" DOH - used to be Bleeki or somethingorother

Sonny Disposition

This is progress. You have eyes, grasshopper, yet how is it you do not see?

You are right and you are wrong. Or, should I say: you are half right.

Look to the avatar for the final answer! Not your avatar, my avatar.

(Wow, this pseudomystical kung fu stuff is fun.)

Paratilapia Polleni ? All I could remember last night was "small spots" DOH - used to be Bleeki or somethingorother[/b]

longstocking

Members
lol... stump me? That's easy... put mbuna up.... some off the wall variant. Or a pike lol.

I'll have to look around on this one.... be back soon :p

One question... in the second shot, the "nose" and head looks off. That isn't accurate correct? OR are they two different fish :p Something just looks off with the pictures. Bigger better shots maybe?

first shot.... I think Donna is right??? Paratilapia sp. "small spot"

Sonny Disposition

You're right, on both counts. The first fish is Paratilapia sp. "small spot." Photo taken when Dave Snell and I went out to Ron's fish house.

The second is a different fish.

Remember, grasshopper, look to the avatar and you shall have your answer.

lol... stump me? That's easy... put mbuna up.... some off the wall variant. Or a pike lol.

One question... in the second shot, the "nose" and head looks off. That isn't accurate correct? OR are they two different fish :p Something just looks off with the pictures. Bigger better shots maybe?

first shot.... I think Donna is right??? Paratilapia sp. "small spot"[/b]

longstocking

Members
lol ok... can we make a rule. Has to be a cichlid? :lol: Especially if you are trying to stump me :p Not fair !

I had a feeling it wasn't... was trying to find every picture on the net of north american fresh water fish. :lol:

Sonny Disposition

OK. Close enough. The fish on the left is the Paratilapia sp. small spot, the fish on the right is Enneacanthus gloriosus (the bluespotted sunfish), found on our good old eastern shore, and in Southern Maryland, probably not too far from where maddog lives. (My avatar is Enneacanthus chaetodon.)

I thought this would be good because it demonstrates how environmental forces can produce two distincly similar species from different familes and even from different continents. Like your goby cichlids, or the darter cichlids from Brazil.

Remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine starts hanging around with three new friends? Jerry calls them "bizarro Jerry, George and Kramer," for the parallel world ("Bizarro World) in the Superman comics where Superman, Lois and Jimmy all have duplicates.

These pictures are proof of my thesis that sunfish are actually Bizarro cichlids. Or cichlids are Bizarro sunfish. I haven't figured out which.

You're not the first one to be fooled. A NANFA friend in Wisconsin keeps the Paratilapia small spot species, along with his sunfish collection. The bluespotted sunfish are much smaller--a really huge one would be about the size of a silver dollar.

Anyway, native fish guys he's brought into his fish room look at the Paratilapia and ask how he got his bluespots to grow so large!

lol ok... can we make a rule. Has to be a cichlid? :lol: Especially if you are trying to stump me :p Not fair !

I had a feeling it wasn't... was trying to find every picture on the net of north american fresh water fish. :lol:[/b]

DeeCee

Members
You're right, on both counts. The first fish is Paratilapia sp. "small spot." Photo taken when Dave Snell and I went out to Ron's fish house.

The second is a different fish.

Remember, grasshopper, look to the avatar and you shall have your answer.

<div class='quotemain'>lol... stump me? That's easy... put mbuna up.... some off the wall variant. Or a pike lol.

first shot.... I think Donna is right??? Paratilapia sp. "small spot"[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Oh Heck -- no WONDER he looked familiar! I've been sucking the poop outta his tank for the last year!!!!!! ROFL!!!!!!! :happy0012:

And I wondered why that 2nd picture looked different -- yep, you fooled the grasshopper! Heee heeee!

DeeCee

Members
Oooopsie! Sorry, had to work all day & just checked the forum.

OK, I have a fish that may stump you -

Go ahead & NAME THAT FISH!

DC

IMG_0529.jpg