• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My tank, updated as things change

secuono

Members
This is my 75g Metaframe w/original slate bottom.
The breeder net has 6 babies that were free from the store. They are beyond cute! Everyone is acting like regular fish, no aggression yet, but they have some growing to do. I'll have to look at the receipts to figure out how many I have and all. Will add that later. I've just added the rocks. Since the bottom is slate and not glass, I am thinking it will be safe bare and no need for egg-crate. Anyone else thing this may be alright? So far it's great. But I'm noticing the holes aren't very big and some of the larger cichlids really don't fit. What do you guys do for that? The sand is 20lbs of CaribSea African Cichlid mix substrate. There is also black sand from my established tanks. Plants are on the right w/a bit of wood and wood in the middle connecting the rocks. Rock stays on the left, bare under the rocks, but the sand is all around. Air stone is 12in and it's to help w/the crazy heat we have. I'll be adding plants that there are too many of in my other tanks. So far they also haven't bothered them.
My Sen is still in there, he thinks about eating the tiny cichlids, lol. As soon as Petco has it's $1 per gallon sale, I will be getting him his own tank.
There's two hob filters and I'm buying either one or two Sunsun canister filters today.

Let me know if anybody is selling some 1in+ cichlids, I'd like to get one more kind in. Most of these are mixes, but mutts make for very interesting fish. =)

Counted 19 fish on the receipts. All ate like pigs a few minutes ago. I saw 3 little rosy peacock cichlids, thought about getting them. Your opinions?

216644_242301045803411_100000705527207_809351_5023818_n.jpg

263304_242303212469861_100000705527207_809353_6509716_n.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Looks great. Will be interesting to see how long those plants last. ;p

I think that rocks bearing on the bottom will be just fine. From the looks of it, you have a couple of Melanochromis and a couple of red zebras. You're fixing for a pretty rough-and-tumble tank with a lot of excitement.

You'll definitely want to open up the rocks a bit to let the largest fish hide if need be.

I have some Malawi haps/mbuna/peacock juveniles at an inch and up, but live in Gaithersburg. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

secuono

Members
The rocks are small, so I guess I will have to go back out to hunt for rocks. Maybe then they can all fit. =)
Do you ship, Tony? End of this week will be cooler, around 85F, but idk, maybe waiting longer would be best.

McFluffrichromis has a post on the marketplace that he's selling venustus and socolofi fry (that are about 2") for $2 each. He's in Alexandria, not far from Ft Belvoir.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
The rocks are small, so I guess I will have to go back out to hunt for rocks. Maybe then they can all fit. =)
Do you ship, Tony? End of this week will be cooler, around 85F, but idk, maybe waiting longer would be best.

Dang dude. Google'd Sperryville and you're way out there.

I have shipped before. Let me check on my stocklist of growouts and I'll send you a PM. I got rid of a ton of fish at the ACA.

We could probably get by with USPS flat rate shipping, which is pretty cheap. Small fish ship well.

secuono

Members
It's lookin' a little green in there...

Matt

Yea, it is a bit green. I did stir up the sand which made it cloudy again. But the water isn't green. In person it's nearly crystal clear w/a bit of white hazing. I think it's the lights and then the sunlight that's messing with us. On a strong angle it's green..and apparently on camera too. I'll get a new pic later tonight or tomorrow.

secuono

Members
Dang dude. Google'd Sperryville and you're way out there.

I have shipped before. Let me check on my stocklist of growouts and I'll send you a PM. I got rid of a ton of fish at the ACA.

We could probably get by with USPS flat rate shipping, which is pretty cheap. Small fish ship well.

I'm even further out now. Haven't gotten around to updating the profile info since we moved in April. We bought a farm! Fixed the city. I'm near Culpeper, Boston, VA. =)

You need to paint the back of the tank! (I recently did that after a bit of discussion on this forum, and it worked great).

secuono

Members
Not gonna ruin the Metaframe any more than the last owner did. I will put up a black board or something eventually.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Um, again, it's not green water. The white dust will settle over night.
Did a 50% yesterday and a 25% today, not to clear the water, just to clean and lower the temp.
HAVE YOU TRIED BRISTLENOSE PLECOS THEY CLEAN WELL ;) DUNNO WHAT "WHITE DUST" THAT SETTLES COULD BE :confused:

Ophelia77

Members
We have a HOT Magnum filter for the tanks that kick up "stuff" after water changes. Very effective and the filter is real easy to clean :)

secuono

Members
Changed the lighting filter and it came out clear like it should =)
I found some rocks last night and removed all the small ones. Added the bigger rocks, but not done placing them. Gonna wait a few days to let the fish chill out a little.

On a side note, I cleaned out the duck's 4 pools and gave them a ton of floaters to nibble on. So their pic is here too. =p

284597_242820352418147_100000705527207_811007_3068201_n.jpg

267296_242819899084859_100000705527207_811005_5217793_n.jpg

secuono

Members
Got the black backing up. Discovered the person who owned the Aqua-tech before me drilled 3 tiny holes in the back top lip. No clue as to why they did it...I was wondering why it kept leaking. Then I took out the foam board that blocked the light and ta-da, I figured it out. Ugh, some people...

Anywho. Pic of the tank w/the new backing.
281239_242914399075409_100000705527207_811439_4187235_n.jpg

282558_242914785742037_100000705527207_811440_6143173_n.jpg

secuono

Members
My 1700g pond decided to cave in last night. Oh fun! My silver Koi was trapped under the liner w/mud on it for idk 10min, but I got him out! Eventually got all the fish out, lost the 5 pond snails, and put it up on the ground. Bought a 20x20ft liner and under liner..gonna be my bday gift from my fiance. Soon I will have a near 3,000g pond to stress over.
Anyway, that's related cus I wasn't able to move more rocks around. Time for w/cs.