• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Planted Tank

I just sent in my entry for the GWAPA aquascaping contest. This year's theme is the Nature Style, popularized by Takashi Amano.

Enjoy!

Arlene

GWAPA Photo.jpg

Thanks guys for the compliments! We'll see how I do in the aquascaping contest. I entered the beginner category because it's only the second tank I've ever turned in for a competition.

That's purtttyy ... what's the carpet plant?

It's plant called Elatine triandra. It's pretty new to the aquascaping hobby. There are a few people in GWAPA who have it, and I'm one of them. It's a nitrate hog so you need to dose your tanks regularly or it gets holey, like a bunch of moths have eaten through the leaves. It turns a bright green if you have high light and it keeps the plant low to the ground, or else it gets a little leggy. CO2 is not necessary, but it helps it grow rapidly and spread it to fill the entire bottom of the tank. The great thing about the plant is that it produces itty, bitty flowers that become seed pods. When the seed pods burst under water, the microscopic seeds spread throughout the tank and the plants starts growing everywhere.

Arlene

When the bottom of my tank fully fills in, I'll let you guys know. I have about 1/3 of the tank that still needs to fill in.

So I'll bring some in after the beginning of the year for you guys to sample.

Arlene