• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My non CO2 experiment -- update

It's been a few months now since I turned off the C02 in my planted 58 to reduce the hassle factor of that tank. My Co2 was running out more frequently than it should and I just wanted to be done with it. Plus, I was battling BBA with some regularity. Here is the result:

planted1.jpg

I should add that this is after a water change and pruning! And, yes, that's my big daddy rainbow cichlid on the right guarding yet another swarm of babies!!

Here is the 40 breeder planted peacock tank. It's always been non C02. And yes, it has two fully colored up males (and a juvie coloring up too) and way more fish than it should because the babies keep surviving!

planted2.jpg

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Catastrophic

Well alright then - seems very prolific on all counts. Looks like you're doing the enhanced substrate thing, but just our of curiosity what do run for lighting?

The 58 has eco complete that is now five years old, the peacock tank is just sand. I do use some plant tabs but have stopped the liquid ferts except for Excel.

Lighting. Well, I'm not really sure. The 58 has an Aquatic Life programmable light fixture with 3 bulbs and LEDs. When I stopped C02, I dropped from two bulbs to one bulb. probably 65K. I assume they're T5Hos.

the peacock tank has 4T5Ho, but I"m only using two -- one actinic and one 65K

rsretep

Members
nice tanks Holly I have also stopped fertilizing my planted tanks and am enjoying what I see (much less algae)

hotwingz

Members
I have a couple planted tanks and they don't seem to have any response to co2 or liquid fertilizer either.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I have a couple planted tanks and they don't seem to have any response to co2 or liquid fertilizer either.

Are you giving the plants other fertilizers besides CO2 or liquid carbon? Like ron, traces, phosphorus, nitrogen or potassium? What lights are you using?

I know when I add all of these, my plants grow like crazy!

Arlene

hotwingz

Members
Well my one is a 55 and im just using the pop bottle reactor which i dont think is enough to do much. And i have decently priced bottle of liquid fertilizer and plant tabs. And i knooow my lights arent good but im working on that!

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sonny Disposition

Very, very nice. If you're interested in non CO2 tanks, you might want to get Diana Walstad's book. I got it for Christmas and I can't say enough about it. She really is about the smartest person in the hobby, I think.

What's your background plant? Is it H. corymbosa?

I think you mean the giant hygro. This stuff is the bomb. it keeps growing and I break off limbs and stuff it back in the substrate in either of the tanks and it just keeps growing and growing. there are swords in the back of the 58, but they're being crowded out by the hygro and that's OK. The swords really probably need ferts and I've found that by not adding them to the water column I've really reduced the BBA. I do use root tabs to try and help the swords, but it doesn't seem to help too much. Although most of the small swords in the foreground are baby plants from those in back and they're doing fine (they get a bit more light).

londonloco

Members
What root tabs are you using? If it's Seachem's, they are "micro" ferts and won't do much. I finally bought some RootMedic complete tabs for my PFS tanks, which include "macro" ferts, and the plants really took off. Just a thought.....

fishman13

Members
VERY NICE BRAH. It looks like you have a lot of hygrophilia. Would you be willing to sell or trade for it. The tank looks amazing. The first pic is the best planted tank i have ever seen

mchambers

Former CCA member
Rootmedic

Yes, they are Seachems. I"ll look into the ones you mention.
I recently started using rootmedic root tabs. Too early to tell if they've made a difference, but they are cheaper than the Seachem root tabs.

He sells at the Planted Tank forum:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/rootmedic/

He often puts on sales, such as 2 for 1. One small warning: it takes a while for him to ship its products. If you look at his forum pages, you will see that people sometimes don't get their orders for prolonged periods. That in fact was my experience recently. It took at least three weeks for me to get my order.

I think he does come through eventually, but you need to be patient, and you may need to follow up with him.