• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Mattenfilter/Divider

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I would be afraid that 1" might be to flimsy, the poret foam is firm enough to act as a wall inside the tank. I put the bottom track in the tank to help seal out the sand, it also keeps the bottom in place but the rest of it has nothing to hold it in place. Unless that 1" stuff is really firm, when you add the lift tubes it will flex, as the 2" poret barely stays straight with the 3 lift tubes on it. I know $100 sounds like a lot for some sponge material, but I've spent more than that for 1 filter... enough to do 6 tanks for $100 don't sound bad to me. :) I know this stuff works, so I'd use it again without hesitation.

Patrick, you're welcome over here anytime bro. We gotta start makin plans for a cookout, I'm dyin to smoke some ribs "Memphis Style"... that would give us 4 hrs to drink refreshments, tend the smoker, and look at filters... sounds like a plan!!!

Lively

Members
What kind of smoker Mikey? I just picked up one of those pit grills from wally world - had a heck of a time getting the heat up where i wanted it - share some tips?

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Off topic, I know...

Stacy, I've got a large Brinkman Professional grill, it's not really a smoker but I make due. My grill is large enough that I can keep the meat on one side and build a fire on the other side. I buy the LARGE Hickory CHUNKS, not chips. I start out with a few big chunks on the bottom, I use a charcoal chimney to start KINGSFORD!!! charcoals, when they're good and hot I pour them on the hickory and I add a few more chunks on top. The ideal temperature is 225 - 250, I tend to keep mine 275-325. Since my grill isn't made for smoking it's hard to keep a nice constant low temp. The key to real pit smoked barbecue is to cook it "slow and low" (the pace at which it's cooked and the temp). It takes approx 6 hrs to smoke a Boston Butt/Pork Shoulder to make pulled pork sandwiches, 4 hrs for 6 racks of ribs (on my grill). For the large pieces of meat, use a meat thermometer according to what kind of meat your cooking (pork, poultry, beef, etc.) Depending on the actual grill/smoker you have, you might have to be creative to keep a good fire burning. The fire should not be directly underneath the meat unless it's well below it or else you'll burn it up. Lastly, BBQ sauce is put on in the last 45 minutes, the goal is for it to bake onto the meat. Also, as it's cooking the outside of the meat will get really dark, almost burnt looking... this is what you want, that's called the "bark", loads of flavor there.

Here's an example of what you want to end up with, when they're cooked right you can literally lift the bones right out of the meat (didn't get a pic of that part for obvious reasons ;))

ribsafter.jpg

Cartel

Members
Looks bangin! Although since im from tejas our style of bbq is NO SAUCE! just MEAT!!!! Not that theres anything wrong with memphis style, kansas city, cajun, kentucky......and the other styles

Lively

Members
Mine's a Brinkman - it has a firebox on the side and a chimney on the grill. I tested it with some country style pork ribs and applewood. It was ok - kids and hubby thought it was great but not what I wanted - I redded the meat - if I had been making asian ribs it would have been great. It's been too rainy to pull it out since - but I have beef ribs in the fridge for tomorrow!

I love applewood on beef, I ruined a cheapie charcoal grill making steaks and hamburgers last summer with the wood from a fallen apple tree!

Years and years ago my mom told me that a girl shouldn't learn to grill - it was a *mans* job - about a month later when my dad was out of town - guess who she asked to grill? lol

Sonny Disposition

One idea might be to back up the 1" with egg crate. Along with cable ties, egg crate is one of the most versatile fishroom tools around! (Too bad duct tape doesn't work under water.)

I would be afraid that 1" might be to flimsy, the poret foam is firm enough to act as a wall inside the tank. I put the bottom track in the tank to help seal out the sand, it also keeps the bottom in place but the rest of it has nothing to hold it in place. Unless that 1" stuff is really firm, when you add the lift tubes it will flex, as the 2" poret barely stays straight with the 3 lift tubes on it. I know $100 sounds like a lot for some sponge material, but I've spent more than that for 1 filter... enough to do 6 tanks for $100 don't sound bad to me. :) I know this stuff works, so I'd use it again without hesitation.

Patrick, you're welcome over here anytime bro. We gotta start makin plans for a cookout, I'm dyin to smoke some ribs "Memphis Style"... that would give us 4 hrs to drink refreshments, tend the smoker, and look at filters... sounds like a plan!!!