• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Group Auction for May 14th meeting is open

Scraps

Super Genius
Staff member
We have created a auction for our May 14th in-person meeting on May 14th. Please go to www.mygroupauctions.com to register your items. Make sure you do this so that you get your commission. If you have any questions, please reach out to D DrEgg for technical support.

JLW

CCA Members
So, here's the thing on minimum bids. Minimum bids do not work. They do not increase the selling point of your item, and have the exact opposite effect! You do not get more for your item by putting a minimum bid on them, statistically you get less -- much, much less.

The person who originally created My Group Auctions, Jeff Greenspan, as well as myself (and likely others) have gone through a lot of data and analyzed it. And, you've probably noted this anecdotally at auctions, too. If you have a minimum bid, fewer people get involved in the bidding, and the item is much more likely to either not sell, or sell at or around the minimum. Starting it lower engages more bidders, increased the perceived value, and overall increases your selling price. You're more likely to sell for more without the minimum. (Similarly, auctioneers who start auctions at a higher price may be helping the club move things around, but they're doing a disservice to the sellers -- however, this effect is /much/ less severe than the minimum bid effect).

We've all seen it happen -- "Minimum bid $20, anyone? No one, no, what -- just sell it? OK, start at a buck! <A minute later> And sold for $38 to the gentleman in the neon green goulashes."

The only time a minimum bid has any potential benefit is when you have a Cheapskate Auction -- no one is bidding, everything is selling for a few bucks. Your item with a high minimum bid, in this case, will simply not sell. That might be preferable to selling it for a nominal price. While it prevents the item from selling at all, it doesn't net you anything more. Pun not intended.

Realistically, the best idea would be to allow a "reserve price," which is kind of like a secret minimum bid. If you put a reserve of $100 on an item, and the final bid is for $85, the winning bidder has the option to take it for $100. If they say no, it's a No Sale. However, this is -really- convoluted to do, and not something a club like this would likely ever be able to implement.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Hang on a minute, Josh: The winning bidder was standing in buckets of neon green soup/stew? Was he wearing galoshes while doing so? And isn't goulash usually red? Was the auctioneer color blind?

But I'll concur with your comment about minimum bids. In most cases, the item goes unsold in round one, then comes back later with no minimum bid, at which point it sells. But I've also seen items with a minimum bid go way beyond said minimum.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
On a more serious note: When I log in to MGA, I'm only seeing a list of PVAS auctions. How do I toggle to the CCA auctions?

Blaise

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Just checked out the auction and there are some great items listed! Several discus, some Tangs, apistos, etc.

Bummed I can't bid, but looking like there will be great fish available!