• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My after Aquamania project

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Since I bought a few newts at Aquamania I figured they needed some nice digs to live in. I have been working on this for the last few days. I still may add a clay wall and some more plants once I figure out what I want and what will work. This is my second attempt at keeping newts. the first failed miserably because I used the wrong caulk and I think the set up became toxic. But that failure led to my first fully aquatic tank.

If you have a suggestion for a plant please let my know. I may try some pothos. I know HOT has Paludarim plants but i didn't want to spent 10 bucks on plant just to kill it.

IMG_1261_zpse7804c09.jpg

IMG_1265_zpsfd3e8723.jpg

IMG_1264_zps1679540f.jpg

Video

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
That's really awesome, bro. Always wanted to give them a shot. How many do you have in there?

Love the moss on the dry side. What's the block on the left do?

PS: Can't get the video to play.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
The block on the left is another float for the newts to climb out of the water on. I plan to replace it with a Riparium style island once I figure out how to do it. I have five so far. I may add one more.

Video

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
That's definitely cool, Prince. How did you do your background? Also, how did you route your water pump?

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
i built a false bottom with egg crate and plastic knitting mesh. To keep the water flow I used a base player of LECA/Hydroton then I packed it down with damp coco peat. The background is just clear silicone with coco peat and Zoomed repti bark which is fern bark pressed into the silicone when wet. This background method sometimes leaves gaps but I like it better than great stuff. I drilled a few holes in the wall to aid with water flow. I knotched the corner to allow from for a Marineland Duetto DJ50 filter that I had from when my son and I kept Fire Belly Toads.

When I filled the tank i got a bit of errosion so you can see the false bottom here.
IMG_1270_zps337c3820.jpg

IMG_1271_zps4b753ed9.jpg

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Do you need a heat lamp, IR bulb, or any other equipment? I have some stuff sitting aorund from my bearded dragon days, and its been collecting dust for a while. I'll go through it and see if I have anything you might be able to use, its just taking up space at the moment. Might have a bunch of stuff for you in April.

Awesome setup though, I have no experience with them to offer criticism, but it seems really cool and well thought out from what I can tell. I know rainforestexp had some paladarium stuff, but not sure what. I can get a hold of some of the plants where the roots can grow partially submerged if you want (or if thats pothos, I have no clue) to try. If it grows for me, it'll grow for anyone.