• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Microworm Wranglers

rsretep

Members
I use. Baby cereal and do not smell,don't cook it and after two weeks as it water down i add more baby food and couples days is ready with maximum production , my apisto's fry look so fat that look funny.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app[/QUOTE +1 I also use uncooked baby cereal, I feed fry and some of my smaller fish with the worms. I use old tooth brushes to extract the worms from the side of the container.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yum yum

OMG - I am so glad you posted this. I kept thinking like the culture I bought from you smelled like garlic - I thought I was losing my mind!

I did feed some to adult fish this weekend - adult chili rasboras, adult eques pencilfish, and adult chocolate and sparkling gouramis - all of those have itty bitty little mouths, though, and are micropredators.

Garlic flavored oatmeal! Who'da thunkit?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Powdered, lot easier and you can get a big thing like you can for other spices. It does clump up on standing so i have to shake it hard to get it to flow again.

Maybe next time I make pesto I will use some fresh stuff. Or the next crab boil.

Hey, you are making me hungry!!

Last edited:

msjinkzd

invert junkie
i use the heels of wholegrain bread, slightly moistened, rather than instant cereal for my cultures

As an FYI, it is the Allicin in garlic that is beneficial- in case anyone wants to google

mchambers

Former CCA member
Man

Powdered, lot easier and you can get a big thing like you can for other spices. It does clump up on standing so i have to shake it hard to get it to flow again.

Maybe next time I make pesto I will use some fresh stuff. Or the next crab boil.

Hey, you are making me hungry!!
We had homemade pesto tonight, and I never thought of feeding my live foods! Wonder if the powder contains allicin? If the worms get a lot of garlic, won't they stay in the container and not crawl up the sides?

Here's some pictures of the containers I use. In this case, I just poked small holes in the lid and then cover the container with a cloth. In August and September, I do occasionally have problems with fruit flies infesting the culture. Probably need to get some sort of cloth case with a zipper, like a pillow case.

E84C2664-2A11-4E5D-B5F3-F3A55EB3A215-772-000000D36AEBCC32_zpse9f8d328.jpg.html

In the second picture, you can see the worms crawling up the sides.

CF5188CB-EE58-42AE-B6A3-A0A95DCD5BD3-772-000000D382C92285_zpse8de5d6f.jpg.html

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I tried feeding a mixture of micro worms, daphina mangna, bloodworms, and brine shrimp. Unfortunately they weren't big fans so now I have to do a quick gravel vac on the tank. Once I get more fry from one of my pairs I'll try feeding them micros.

Beeman

Members
Thanks for starting this thread Christine, and thanks to all who have offered their additional advise. Great idea to add the live food section. I came home from the meeting with four different live food options to offer my fishes. I have to learn their management quick! :wacko:

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I also have started live food cultures because of the meeting, I now have a culture of about 15 (I know I need more) crickets in a 66 quart container and later today I'm getting the supplies for a red wiggler culture.

Fraviz

Members
I tried the corn meal... it took longer to start but gave me a good amount of worms...and run out faster too