• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

MEET UP OCT 30 NOON Tropical Lagoon

Sonny Disposition

RECESSION BUSTER:

If you're in the area, stop by and meet us as we visit an area business tomorrow:
(This is not an official club event, just some members getting together on an informal basis.)

WHERE:
Tropical Lagoon Aquarium
9431 Georgia Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20910-1435
Two blocks inside the beltway on Northbound Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring
http://www.tropicallagoon.com/directions/
Parking is in the County lot on the corner of GA and Seminary Road. The meters are free on Sunday.

WHEN:
Sunday, October 30, Noon.

Tropical Lagoon is a Silver Spring institution. It's a small, basement location, but definitely a bona fide local fish store and not a chain. If anyone is hungry afterward, we can stop at Inka's, which offers the best Peruvian chicken in town.

After today's wet and sloppy weather, it'll be nice to have something to look forward to as the weather clears tomorrow.

marge618

CCA member
Bob, This "fish meet up" was a fun Sunday afternoon event. Interesting place. Small entrance way, and then downstairs to the Tropical Lagoon. At first glance it looks very small. Then, when you start surveying the tanks, you find they are stacked 4 high.... I liked the balance of fresh and saltwater. Quite a few cichlids.

I'm the only one who went away without getting some new fish. (Have to make room before I get any more.)

Inka's, the Peruvian chicken place 2 doors away, has great authentic Peruvian food.

Last edited:

lgfelic

Members
First time

Thank you for inviting me to the informal gathering. It was nice meeting new people and discovering a nice LFS closer to where I live.
It was nice meeting you all and hope we can keep meeting on occasion. :lol:

Sonny Disposition

Thanks, all, for turning out! It was great-- meet with local fish friends, and support local businesses.

Calling the meet up was my way of turning the focus toward our home communities. I'm not going to shun big corporations, or give up oranges, mangos and pineapples. But, I think, if we're going to get out of this big economic mess we're in, we're all going to have to start thinking about the people and businesses where we live. Rather than always buying online, or from a big box store or eating at a restaurant chain, we can figure out how to support the business trying to make it in our own communities.

Maybe some of you will do fish store meet ups where you live. Or maybe you'll come up with a better idea.

Good luck.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Thanks Bob. This is a good thing to do to support our local businesses. Maybe this can be a recurring type of thing that the club goes to one of the local stores every month or two. Great idea!

Spine

Members
I'd be up for a house of tropicals meet :)

You took the words right out of my mouth,lol I had fun at the meet up and CCA is actually going to get a new member. Lets not forget the good food we ate also,lol

I think having a meet up at local shops on a Sunday is a great idea. The shop owner will like our support and other costumers can learn from us too,not to mention it's a great recruiting place for new members.

House of Tropicals look out here comes CCA

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
You took the words right out of my mouth,lol I had fun at the meet up and CCA is actually going to get a new member. Lets not forget the good food we ate also,lol

I think having a meet up at local shops on a Sunday is a great idea. The shop owner will like our support and other costumers can learn from us too,not to mention it's a great recruiting place for new members.

House of Tropicals look out here comes CCA
AS LONG AS ITS EARLY SUNDAYS BEFORE 1PM NFL KICKOFFS ;)

chris_todd

Members
Cool idea, Bob! I'd be up for an HOT meetup or maybe Exotic Aquatics. I used to love how after each CCA meeting, you'd run into a bunch of CCA'ers over at Scales TFW.

Sonny Disposition

HOT is a great store. It was spur of the moment for me. But somebody smarter than I am could put a little more thought into it and give people a little more notice. There are lots and lots of possibilities.

Maybe if we had thought about it earlier, Scales would still be around.

But that doesn't mean that somebody else can't pick a store in their area, and pair it up with lunch at a cheeseburger place or Chinese restaurant. Heck, I'd travel to Baltimore or even Virginia for that.

We like fish stores and we like eating. Why shouldn't we look out for our local businesses? If we don't care about our communities, no one else will.

Cool idea, Bob! I'd be up for an HOT meetup or maybe Exotic Aquatics. I used to love how after each CCA meeting, you'd run into a bunch of CCA'ers over at Scales TFW.

longstocking

Members
There are not many good places to eat to Glen Burnie... but there are a couple. One I like that isn't too far away is Los Portales ( I think that is how you spell it ). Rated one of the best Mexican in Baltimore for years and it's pretty cheap :) 5-10 min away from HOT.

Not sure if I will even be able to go... as I am busy the next three weekends but that doesn't mean someone else can't head it up or that we can't wait till the 26th-27th.

Maybe we start around 11:00 - noon... end up at the restaurant and try to be out early enough for people to watch the 4:00 game.

Last edited:

marge618

CCA member
There are not many good places to eat to Glen Burnie... but there are a couple. One I like that isn't too far away is Los Portales ( I think that is how you spell it ). Rated one of the best Mexican in Baltimore for years and it's pretty cheap :) 5-10 min away from HOT.

Maybe we start around 11:00 - noon... end up at the restaurant and try to be out early enough for people to watch the 4:00 game.

Another thought: :) If there is a Monday night game... or late 8pm Sunday night game we could start at 2pm.