• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mbuna or Peacocks?

jmessineo1

Members
So I just bought a 75 gallon, and I can't decide if I want to move the peacocks and sell smaller haps and have a 6' predator hap tank and 4' peacock. Or keep the 6 foot all male mixed and have the 4' be a bio type Mbundu with 3-4 species. Would love to get your opinions!

So predator and peacock or male hap and peacock and Mbuna?

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a 55 gallon mbuna tank for several years now, inhabited mostly with the "calmer" mbuna such as yellow labs, rusties and zebroids. I've since added a single male peacock and young calvus with no problems whats-so-ever. My tank has tons of rock hidding places, so much so, that when the fish get spooked, it looks like there are no fish in the tank! So, you can mix, but be wary of inhabitants. Also, the rusties, labs and zebroids are constantly making babies. The large males occassionally do the circle lip lock and chase each other around dance, but that's just among them.

Jennylou83

I've had a 55 gallon mbuna tank for several years now, inhabited mostly with the "calmer" mbuna such as yellow labs, rusties and zebroids. I've since added a single male peacock and young calvus with no problems whats-so-ever. My tank has tons of rock hidding places, so much so, that when the fish get spooked, it looks like there are no fish in the tank! So, you can mix, but be wary of inhabitants. Also, the rusties, labs and zebroids are constantly making babies. The large males occassionally do the circle lip lock and chase each other around dance, but that's just among them.

My husband and I have a 55 gallon that we recently converted to a Mbuna tank. We are trying to decide what we want to add next. We are trying to learn what if any peacock or haps we can intergrate in with not much issue. Any suggestions? This is what is currently in our tank;

Blue maingno
OB Red zebra
Yellow lab
Pombo rocks
Yellow tail acei
Rusty

Thank you for your help!

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
lots of hiding places and fish that don't get bigger than 5". I eventually moved yellow tail acei to a friends 220 because they were just a little too large for the 55.