• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lost everything in my 55

Wow, Will, sorry to hear this. I know you run a tight ship. Given all that you said, I am at a loss for possibilities. I do agree with earlier comments that a (normal) disease doesn't seem likely given that ALL fish were wiped out so quickly and seemingly showing no sign of distress beforehand. I don't think it was house cleaning since not a single fish in the other tanks perished. Unless the 55 was uncovered and all the others were covered, wouldn't the other tanks have been impacted (even if just a little)? If you ruled out electrical problems, I am thinking it may be something with/in the filter per an earlier comment (or some other water parameter that normal testing doesn't address).

Becca

Members
I have gotten rid of everything from "cursed" tanks before, including the tank. Doesn't seem paranoid at all to me.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zackcrack00

Members
I have gotten rid of everything from "cursed" tanks before, including the tank. Doesn't seem paranoid at all to me.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Reminiscing. :) I have the formerly cursed tank. Will, if THIS tank is useable, yours will be, too. Sorry to hear this but good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I think most of us have had a mass, unexplained die-loff at least once. It's horrible. I always blame a nitrite spike. Did you check your nitrite?

mchambers

Former CCA member
Will,

I'm sorry about your tank wipe out. I subscribe to the external pollutant theory and doubt the filter had anything to do with it.

If, however, you are concerned about your filter, I'll take it off your hands!

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Hey guys update. I took the fluval filter apart (as far as I could) and found that the ball was stuck causing insufficient flow.
Now I feel horrible that means they died from suffocation

Localzoo

Board of Directors
That is a bit paranoid, and costly, but if it brings you peace, it is worth the cost.

Did you verify that the filter's flow was normal? Fluval's have the ball in the strainer, was it clogged at all? Was the inside of the filter mud-like?

Thanks found that and the ball was clogged. The impeller was ok but the plastic plunger piece around the base had a crack in it.

Matt I think I'm going to keep it. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions

Zack I don't think is cursed

Eric your fish are safe in the other tank.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you found the source. Freakin' frustrating as heck, but at least it's not some unsolvable mystery.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So could the small clogg cause the small plastic piece to crack and not move enough water?
Crazy shhhht is there was no leak.

Andrew thank you for the suggestion I would have never thought of it

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
So could the small clogg cause the small plastic piece to crack and not move enough water?
Crazy shhhht is there was no leak.

Andrew thank you for the suggestion I would have never thought of it

My 404 is on a planted tank. The plant debris often clears the strainer and pins the ball to the intake tube, significantly reducing flow. I've had The ph drop as a result, causing the fish to gasp. I've cleared the ball, flow returned, and the ph rose. The remaining fish died soon after due to the stress associated with rapid ph swings.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
My 404 is on a planted tank. The plant debris often clears the strainer and pins the ball to the intake tube, significantly reducing flow. I've had The ph drop as a result, causing the fish to gasp. I've cleared the ball, flow returned, and the ph rose. The remaining fish died soon after due to the stress associated with rapid ph swings.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

That's sucks any advice on how to prevent it?

Becca

Members
This is actually why I added a "bubble wall" to my 55. It is sort of cheesy, but it keeps the tank aerated even if my intake gets clogged (which it often does in that tank) and flow is reduced.

I got an eco-plus pump and 48" bubble wall for less than $25 at Ken's. It's proven worth the investment. I used a combination of rigid and flexible tubing to ensure it wasn't all that visible.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
This is actually why I added a "bubble wall" to my 55. It is sort of cheesy, but it keeps the tank aerated even if my intake gets clogged (which it often does in that tank) and flow is reduced.

I got an eco-plus pump and 48" bubble wall for less than $25 at Ken's. It's proven worth the investment. I used a combination of rigid and flexible tubing to ensure it wasn't all that visible.

I've hot tons of extra pumps and tubing might just have to do that