• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Lost everything in my 55

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Had a beautiful day yesterday. Everything was fine everything was good with this tank. Woke up this morning to hear my wife say everything in the tank was dead. The tank is filtered with a 405 canister. Had two adult hongi, grow out of peacocks treefs labs and a some newly acquired female azures.....water parameters ok ammonia was at 10 but don't know if that's from them being dead....
Temp is 80
I checked for electrical issues
I checked if the heater has failed
I checked around and near the tank to see if there is anything that could have polluted the tank...
I am running out if ideas.
Anyone have any advice/suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

frankoq

Members
Sorry to hear. there were power outages last night. Did you have one?
Then again, I had power outages before and the fish were fine for hours.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Diseases do not kill everything quickly so rule that out.

Lack of oxygen can kill fairly quickly but does not seem reasonable. If the pump is off there can develop dead spots (lack of oxygen) in the bottom of the aquarium and in places with very low flow. But some fish would or should survive by sucking air at the surface.

Toxins can be produced in a canister filter if it is off for longer than a few hours. When it comes back on it pumps the toxins into the tank.

Contamination by placing hands or objects in tank that contain toxins like liquid detergents.

If the tank has a carbon dioxide system on it to increase plant growth, excess carbon dioxide can quickly kill fish.

SO these are some possibilities but need more details to narrow it down. Rapid changes in pH or salt levels can kill but also seem unlikely.

dogofwar

CCA Members
So sorry, Will!

No water changes to the tank yesterday?

Spray anything near the tank or put your hands in the tank?

Last time you cleaned the gunk out of the canister?

Matt

Lack of oxygen can kill fairly quickly but does not seem reasonable. If the pump is off there can develop dead spots (lack of oxygen) in the bottom of the aquarium and in places with very low flow. But some fish would or should survive by sucking air at the surface.

Toxins can be produced in a canister filter if it is off for longer than a few hours. When it comes back on it pumps the toxins into the tank.

Contamination by placing hands or objects in tank that contain toxins like liquid detergents.

If the tank has a carbon dioxide system on it to increase plant growth, excess carbon dioxide can quickly kill fish.

SO these are some possibilities but need more details to narrow it down. Rapid changes in pH or salt levels can kill but also seem unlikely.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Sorry to hear, Will. Any chance someone sprayed some cleaner or air freshener near the tank?

This might be the answer... Wife and cleaned the office/fish room but no aerosolized chemicals. I do remember sliding the lid back but hands didn't touch the water could a small transfer cause a mass die off?we dusted then vacuumed then
I used store brand bleach to mop the floor.... Wouldn't the other 12 tanks seen some effects?

Localzoo

Board of Directors

No plants it's a grow out with shallow sand bed and 3 tall large rocks. Makes it easier to catch the juvies.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
So sorry, Will!

No water changes to the tank yesterday?

Spray anything near the tank or put your hands in the tank?

Last time you cleaned the gunk out of the canister?

Matt

Water change to all tanks the 48 hours before this occurred

No spraying but as mentioned dusted vacuumed and mopped.

3 weeks since cleaning canister.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Quite strange, especially that they all died very quickly.

Leads me to believe that something - bleach or some other chemical - got into the water.

My fishroom and laundry room are the same room, so we use bleach all of the time. I don't use spray stuff in there, though...

Possible that the canister wasn't providing enough circulation on its own?

Matt

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Gosh Will, so sorry to hear about that. While I can't help with diagnosing source of this, if you want to start to restock, my 55 is overstocked with mbuna, so I can give you some if you wish (including the white top hara's you gave me). Of course, catching them will be an issue. Good luck with this and let me know if there is anything I can assist with.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Gosh Will, so sorry to hear about that. While I can't help with diagnosing source of this, if you want to start to restock, my 55 is overstocked with mbuna, so I can give you some if you wish (including the white top hara's you gave me). Of course, catching them will be an issue. Good luck with this and let me know if there is anything I can assist with.
Thanks so much the fish I gave you are yours... I'm probably going to leave it empty for a while.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Quite strange, especially that they all died very quickly.

Leads me to believe that something - bleach or some other chemical - got into the water.

My fishroom and laundry room are the same room, so we use bleach all of the time. I don't use spray stuff in there, though...

Possible that the canister wasn't providing enough circulation on its own?

Matt

Yea we make a thing to not spray stuff... Baby, three dogs, tanks and any other animal needing temporary home/rescue.

Becca

Members
I'm so sorry. I would guess contaminant or not enough surface movement. It sucks when this happens. We had sOmething similar happen not that long ago.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Leffler817

CCA Members
Thanks awful Will. While I doubt you'll find the exact reason for the die off, I have no problem blaming you personally responsible. ;) JK.

Ps: Thank God it wasn't the new Sumbus!!!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
That is a bit paranoid, and costly, but if it brings you peace, it is worth the cost.

Did you verify that the filter's flow was normal? Fluval's have the ball in the strainer, was it clogged at all? Was the inside of the filter mud-like?