• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

keeping new and worlds together

zackcrack00

Members
I have a Malawi tank with a few labs, and a bunch of HRP calico convict hybrids, and people keep telling me that I should get rid of the new worlds because they can't go with old worlds. Is that right?And if I am selling "pure" fish, is it bad to keep two labidochromis species together? I have L. Chismanu and L. Caeruleus. Will these two hybridize together?

chriscoli

Administrator
Although there are some people that do keep old and new world cichlids together, they come from very different water types. They will both survive in our local tap water but won't be at their best.

And I do believe the two labs might hybridize but there are other people on this forum that would have more info on that.

verbal

CCA Members
Generally with mbuna one species per genus is the best way to go. There some that will even cross that line such as red zebra and yellow labs.

I think a hard and fast no new worlds with old world rule is too restrictive. Mbuna outside of the mellow ones can be tough to combine. The best chance if success tends to be all male tanks where you don't have breeding aggression to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I actually have a few random africans (not sure what they are exactly I'm no expert) that have been living with my "midevil" and they seem to get along just fine for the most part...I don't think the devil really LIKES them, but he can't catch and kill them either. I Just make sure there's a lot of hiding places and have a "time out" tank ready in case someone gets hurt...my red devil isn't always the nicest kid in the block (and that's me being nice)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I don't mix old and new world because it doesn't feel or look right to me. I'm always trying to replicate their natural environments as best I can (OK, I'm not a purest when it comes to plants) so I don't like how it looks. I also don't think it makes fish happy and I want happy fish.

yes the two lab species will hybridize.

did I read your email correctly that you have all these fish in a 29 gallon? That really needs to be re-thought.

verbal

CCA Members
I don't mix old and new world because it doesn't feel or look right to me. I'm always trying to replicate their natural environments as best I can (OK, I'm not a purest when it comes to plants) so I don't like how it looks. I also don't think it makes fish happy and I want happy fish.

yes the two lab species will hybridize.

did I read your email correctly that you have all these fish in a 29 gallon? That really needs to be re-thought.

Agreed. I would go with the clown labs and the clown loaches. They will need a bigger home eventually, but they would be a great start for a bigger tank that I have seen you mention in other threads. The African butterfly fish needs to be in its own tank or a community tank.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree that it generally is not wise fishkeeping to mix new and old world fish, due to the differing water requirements, with one type of exception. African riverine cichlids, such as kribensis, have water requirements that are very similar to those of South American cichlids.

verbal

CCA Members
I agree that it generally is not wise fishkeeping to mix new and old world fish, due to the differing water requirements, with one type of exception. African riverine cichlids, such as kribensis, have water requirements that are very similar to those of South American cichlids.

I agree on the African Riverine cichlids and South American Cichlids, often being compatible.

I think the water requirements is only an issue if you are modifying your water from standard tap(other than adding de-chlor). It definitely does not make sense to put a fish in water that you modifying away from it's ideal(i.e. a tetra or wild pleco in water with raised pH and added buffers) or a Malawi cichlid in a tank where you add rainwater. However keeping hardy barbs or tetras with livebearers in treated tap seems ok to me.

zackcrack00

Members
All of the hybrids are fry, but they all seem to get along just fine, and I guess I will get rid of the yellows... :( Thanks !

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
All of the hybrids are fry, but they all seem to get along just fine, and I guess I will get rid of the yellows... :( Thanks !

You'll just have better luck if you can cater to the specific needs of one or the other. You can also build a bigger group of the chismulae to give them a better chance at long term success.

Don't be too upset about the yellows, they're always available in the club if you decide you want them in the future. I don't know of anyone breeding the clown labs, so it would be cool to see them show up in the club.

Prove to your parents you can take really good care of two tanks, then maybe you can get 3 and add another species or two, thats when MTS sets in.

I only had one tank until after college, and it was a 20g, so you're already ahead of the curve compared to where most of us started. Get really good with the basics, and you'll be breeding really cool fish before you know it.

zackcrack00

Members
I am getting rid of the clowns, yellows (breeding pair!), an possibly the butterfly. I am going to let a pair of the hybrids pair off and see how they do. Thank you guys, you have been so helpful, and I am very pleased with the amounting of knowledge that the club members hold.