• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

LiluDallas

Chairpersons
Staff member
I'm looking for rocks and wood. Nothing specific, although I love lava rock. Where's a great place to purchase, that isn't overpriced? Or anyone you know that has some.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
If you are set on buying stone instead of finding it out in the "wild", Irwin Stone would be my recommendation. I think there is a location in Rockville and one in Frederick. A lot of the stone that they sell is for construction purposes, so its sold by the ton rather than by the pound. While I haven't been in a while, the last time I went, I think I picked up a 5 gallon bucket full of river rock for less than $5.

Freakgecko

Members
the thing about finding it in the wild is, I don't know if its safe to place in the tank.
Most of my tanks have wood or rock from outside. One has a 5’ long stump that I dragged from the woods (it’s a hardwood) and rocks I collected locally in Silver Spring when I lived there. That tanks been running with that stuff since 2015

Becca

Members
If you're thinking of taking wood from outside, avoid conifiers/pine/evergreens and Maple. Sycamore and Oak are OK, but you need to let it fully dry and may want to strip the bark off.

Lee

CCA Members
I have a 55 gallon Rubbermaid full of lace rock i'm trying to clear out. if you take the whole bin I'll sell it for 120. Some of the pieces are over 20lbs

lock jaw

CCA Members
I bought some coral base rock (dead rock), I've had it sitting in the box I got it from, since, I haven't had the time to chisle them to smaller pieces. There are two large pieces a little over 40lbs (combined) and I bought them for about $50. I would be willing to let them go and I can share pictures of it if you are interested.

Becca

Members
I bought some coral base rock (dead rock), I've had it sitting in the box I got it from, since, I haven't had the time to chisle them to smaller pieces. There are two large pieces a little over 40lbs (combined) and I bought them for about $50. I would be willing to let them go and I can share pictures of it if you are interested.

Won't this impact water hardness/ pH? I'm not sure about the lace rock, but I'm pretty sure this would.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
The coral base rock (dead rock) is mostly limestone and will raise the pH and hardness. Lace rock, river rock, and most other popular aquarium types are inert.

Agreed. Sandstone (river rock), granite, and other types of rocks are inert and will not affect pH. Some certainly will. Just look up the type of rock you are looking to acquire and the interweb will help. Just make sure the source for information is credible.

toddnbecka

Members
I use coral in my tanks to buffer the pH and avoid old tank syndrome. I have quite a lot of malaysian and mopani wood on hand since I switched most of my focus from fish to snakes, as well as several milk crates filled with rocks of various shapes and sizes. If you want to come get the rocks they're free, and I would be happy to sell the wood for much lower prices than I originally paid just to clear it out of the basement. If you want or need aquaclear 70 or 110 filters, whisper AP 300 air pumps, sponge filters, of 300w heaters I also have those available.