• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Is this new tank syndrome bacteria bloom

dario5678

CCA Members
Hi,

My tank s about 2-3 months old (closer to 2 I think) My filter had broken and I had no filter for 2 weeks, I was doing water changes regularly and had a powerhead in. About a week ago I put in a new filter did a 50 percent water change and have recently done a 20 percent water change. I want to get it clear...should I just leave it alone? And let things happen. My filter is a tower block filter from Swiss tropicals. It's basically A huge sponge filter. That is my only filtration.

cloud.jpg

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'd be worried that you don't have any biological filtration in the tank yet, so I'd be doing daily water changes.

Digital

Members
Wow, that's a 90? Never would have guessed by the photo. how deep is it?

Can you post a lic of how you have the powerhead connected to the sponge?

dario5678

CCA Members
Wow, that's a 90? Never would have guessed by the photo. how deep is it?

Can you post a lic of how you have the powerhead connected to the sponge?
HMF_10_30ppi.jpg

dario5678

CCA Members
No windows..in basement windows are covered very little light

Actually, i tried something yesterday. While the tank is not in direct sunlight. It is in the basement and the basement door has a glass window. I noticed when the light is out the sun does enter the basement, the basement is lit by the sun.

Digital

Members
20171204_205014.jpg Can you post a link to the kit you bought off of swisstropicals? You have built a Hamburg Mattenfilter right?

Is that space circled where the sponge isnt above the water level? if that is supposrd to be a HMF and the top isnt sticking out of the water then the filter isnt working properly.

Last edited:

Becca

Members
It looks like you have a cube filter, not a mattenfilter. A cube should operate like any other air driven sponge. The only thing I can think of is that you're not generating enough flow with it, but I'd need to either see it or at least see a video of the what the filter output looks like.

The depth at which it's operating may necessitate a much stronger air pump to create enough flow through the filter.

If it's a mattenfilter, the entire top of the foam needs to be above the water level, even if by only a little.Otherwise, water will flow over the top instead of through the foam, and you're not filtering the tank at all.

dario5678

CCA Members
Yes it's a hug
It looks like you have a cube filter, not a mattenfilter. A cube should operate like any other air driven sponge. The only thing I can think of is that you're not generating enough flow with it, but I'd need to either see it or at least see a video of the what the filter output looks like.

The depth at which it's operating may necessitate a much stronger air pump to create enough flow through the filter.

If it's a mattenfilter, the entire top of the foam needs to be above the water level, even if by only a little.Otherwise, water will flow over the top instead of through the foam, and you're not filtering the tank at all.
Yes it is a big cube filter essentially here is a link to the flow..thank you...let me know what you think

Becca

Members
If you are planning to add some hardscape, I'd suggest some lava rock. Lava rock has lots of crevices and surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. A lot of folks actually use it in place of manufactured biological media (it's the original bio balls). For an african tank (these look like africans) it will contribute to a nice, rocky hardscape and will provide lots of surface area for bacteria to grow. I guess I'm also wondering what kind of sand you've got in there and how clean it was when you added it.

dario5678

CCA Members
If you are planning to add some hardscape, I'd suggest some lava rock. Lava rock has lots of crevices and surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. A lot of folks actually use it in place of manufactured biological media (it's the original bio balls). For an african tank (these look like africans) it will contribute to a nice, rocky hardscape and will provide lots of surface area for bacteria to grow. I guess I'm also wondering what kind of sand you've got in there and how clean it was when you added it.
I do plan to aquascaoe. I actually have been looking for some good deals on lava rock...so.eone suggested a rock quarry? I used pool fter sand. I rinsed the bejeezus out of it with a cement mixeruntil it ran clear....whatcha think?

Becca

Members
I do plan to aquascaoe. I actually have been looking for some good deals on lava rock...so.eone suggested a rock quarry? I used pool fter sand. I rinsed the bejeezus out of it with a cement mixeruntil it ran clear....whatcha think?
Pool filter sand tends to be pretty clean, so that's not it. Lava rock might not seem cheap, but it's pretty lightweight for rock. I'm not sure you'll find larger chunks at a hardscape store, but you might find small ones. There's Irwin Stone in Rockville, a place called The Stone Store north of Baltimore, and a few others around.