• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Inadvertent catfish breeding

Zepp914

CCA Members
My planted tank, which contains a betta, peppered cories, a bristelnose, rasboras, neons, and 2 leftover fish from another tank, hasn't been doing well lately. My Wisteria was looking poor, my mini swords were getting some black beard algae, and all of my pond snails disappeared. I was worried I was going through some "Old Tank Syndrome". It is not a good sign when the pond snails are gone.

I decided to do a very large water change, so I got my buckets and started siphoning water out. Out comes this peppered cory whose length was smaller than a dime. As I tried to take a picture of the tiny fast moving fellow, another one appeared, and then another. I have no clue how many there are, but there are at least 3. I thought all of the other fish would have consumed the eggs, but I guess not. I am not sure if I should do the big water change or not as I have no experience with fry.

Sorry for the mediocre photos. These little guys don't stay still.

cory1.jpg

cory2.jpg

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Do a smaller water change and then do another next week. Depending on size, peppered Cories should be pretty hardy.

IndianaSam

CCA Members
C. paleatus was my first accidental catfish spawn over 20 years ago. Your story brings back great memories for me.

My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) was sitting in front of my tank and asked me if I'd purchased any new fish. I was like "no, why?". And then she pointed out the handful of paleatus fry lurking in my planted tank.

Zepp914

CCA Members
Do a smaller water change and then do another next week. Depending on size, peppered Cories should be pretty hardy.

Thanks, will do. I did 20% and will wait until they are a bit bigger before going all out.

C. paleatus was my first accidental catfish spawn over 20 years ago. Your story brings back great memories for me.

My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) was sitting in front of my tank and asked me if I'd purchased any new fish. I was like "no, why?". And then she pointed out the handful of paleatus fry lurking in my planted tank.

Well now I CAN"T get more fish 🙄. I have to find out how many there are to see if I am overstocked or not.