• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ICH Maybe?

Wblaze

Members
I noticed on one of my williamsi fry a few white spots on the tail. All the fish including this one are acting fine. I raised the temperature to 86. Is this ICH? If so, will the temp be enough? Will the temp increase hurt the fish or the Pleco? I did not add any fish so I have no idea how I got it

Some fish I've had do get what seem to be white spots on their fins that are not ick. If you have not added anything to the tank in months -- and you could not have cross contaminated from another tank -- than it's highly unlikely to be ick (some will claim ick is dormant in tanks, but that is not my belief or experience.) raising the temp won't generally hurt, even plecos. Do make sure you have aeration as the higher temp lower oxygen. I'd say monitor before adding salt. If you have other tanks, though, treat this one as if it does has ick, just in case.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Gotcha. No new fish in that pleco tank in months.. they've just been in there growing out since they were small. Haven't had ich in my tanks since last fall. :confused:

I've had albino plecos in a tank the last time I had ick and they survive high temps and salt with no casualties.

BTW, when I said "treat the tank," I meant act as if it has ick so that you don't spread it to other tanks. Not "treat" the tank as in meds or salt until ick is more confirmed IMHO

Wblaze

Members
Holly -- understood your correctly. I raised the tank temp Everyone is acting fine, but they are getting more agressive

Wblaze

Members
So can the mbuna be fine with temp @90 and aquarium salt? They are swimming fine but breathing a little heavier. I added a stone to help with the aeration

Wblaze

Members
I could be and in my own self depreciating way, I will not be mad if you call me so. I have the temperature raised for @18 hours now. It is in the high 80s. I no longer see anything on the fish. Could it have fallen off or maybe never existed. Should I lower the temp?

Ick would not have fallen off so quickly, so doubt it was anything. You could leave it at 86 for another day and watch closely. I would say not more than 86 is necessary.

Wblaze

Members
So -- today I am pretty sure it is Ick. I see the spots on a number of my juvenile willamsi. I have the temp to 88 (highest my aqueon heater goes) and I am hoping for the best. Is the salt needed too -- anything else I should do?

It was always my assumption (and purely an assumption for I am certainly no rocket surgeon) that Ich was always in the tank to some degree. As long as the fish were healthy there were no signs or symptoms tho because their immune system was able to fight it off. Once they became stressed due to water quality or other factors is when their immune system became compromised enough for the parasite to then start to take over and you would then see the tell tale signs of Ich. So, not so much as it lays dormant but more of a checks and balances if you will.

Again, this has always just been my understanding. I may have heard it form someone like myself that had no clue either, but who just kept perpetuating the story lol.

T

tug

The heat will do the trick.

Stay at 86 F (30 C) for 12 more days. Make sure of sufficient oxygen, air pump if necessary. Several water changes (as in at daily) by siphoning the bottom - in the theory that most of the ich settles down there first.

Try and keep them eating if possible as it will help. Live foods at this time may be appreciated.

Personally, I add salt. Starting with 1 t per gallon, dissolved in tank water and added slowly, and then repeated every 12 hours for two days. Just my experience.

The "ick lies dormant" is one of those fish tales that have many supporters on both sides. I don't buy it, personally. I've had fish pull through from extremely stressful situation i.e. high nitrite due to bacterial colony collapse and no ick suddenly appeared.

Wblaze

Members
Thanks holly. A lot less ICH today than yesterday. I am doing it you way, so I will let you how it works out

It's also recommended you do a water change with a good gravel vac to get rid of the tomonts. replace with water that is also salted IME.

T

tug

You're not trying to boil the ICH out of it.

Back in the day when I was new to this (not too long ago).
At the levels of salt I was adding, no harm came to the plants or fish.
So, I can only say I added it and it didn't hurt anything.

Raising the temp to speed up the encyst development (higher temps=lower levels of O2 for fish),
water changes and removing the Tomont - never going w/out a quarantine period for new additions.
Check that - never going w/out a quarantine period for new additions.

That is the last time I ever saw ICH.

Last edited by a moderator: