• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ich in my 150!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Anyone know if EBJDs can take this high heat? I am battling a case of ick I accidently caused by creating a nitrite spike. I added salt, have the temp at 82 and am using quick cure and a sterilizer. It looks to be decreasing in severity, but not completing clearing.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Thanks for all the advise, guys.

Had bumped the temp up from 79* up to 84* on Wednesday night. Bumped it again up to 87* last night. Put in the digital thermometer to make sure the temp was accurate. Checked it again this morning and holding at 87.0*. I'll probably tweek the heat up the last smidgen tonight up to just past 89.5*.

Added a small air pump with a stone. Rubber-banded the airstone directly underneath the intake of my Seio blower. All the bubbles get sucked into the fan, chopped up and spit out into the tank. Can't imagine getting any more solid aeration than that.

Talk with Rach for a minute last night. I dosed with her standard treatment of 2 tsp salt per gallon.... yeah, that's like 300 tsp of salt, lol. Google translates that to 6.25 cups. Added about 4 cups last night. Will add the other two cups today. Lot of salt, I tells ya.

A quick examination of the fish is showing almost everyone with ich now... daemon, heckeli, rummy nose, Buenos Aires and hatchets.

Feeling confident though. Thanks again, folks. :)

fischfan13

Banned
Thanks for all the advise, guys.

Had bumped the temp up from 79* up to 84* on Wednesday night. Bumped it again up to 87* last night. Put in the digital thermometer to make sure the temp was accurate. Checked it again this morning and holding at 87.0*. I'll probably tweek the heat up the last smidgen tonight up to just past 89.5*.

Added a small air pump with a stone. Rubber-banded the airstone directly underneath the intake of my Seio blower. All the bubbles get sucked into the fan, chopped up and spit out into the tank. Can't imagine getting any more solid aeration than that.

Talk with Rach for a minute last night. I dosed with her standard treatment of 2 tsp salt per gallon.... yeah, that's like 300 tsp of salt, lol. Google translates that to 6.25 cups. Added about 4 cups last night. Will add the other two cups today. Lot of salt, I tells ya.

A quick examination of the fish is showing almost everyone with ich now... daemon, heckeli, rummy nose, Buenos Aires and hatchets.

Feeling confident though. Thanks again, folks. :)

Almost 7 tablespoons of salt per 10 gallons?
Hate to sound negative, sounds a little excessive.

Tony

Almost 7 tablespoons of salt per 10 gallons?
Hate to sound negative, sounds a little excessive.

Seemed like a lot when I was adding it as well. :)

Seen recommendations from 1 tsp per gallon up to 3 tsp per gallon on the Internet. Figured with Rach importing more fish in some months than I will in my entire lifetime, it's probably pretty sound advice.

Hopefully, it'll work.

Last edited:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Stellar transposition by the way - best laugh I had all day.
I THOUROUGHLY ENJOYED THAT MYSELF BILL. I THOUGHT OF THIS...
65.jpg

12.jpg

:D

Tony

Thanks for the link, Rach. My guys are still looking a bit sugar-coated, but with temp up at constant 87* and with the salt, I'm just going to give it time.

No one's died yet and everyone is still eating fine. No clamped fins or scratching either.

verbal

CCA Members
How is your tank doing?

I got ich in one of my tanks(a 37). Lost one L-333 and one still isn't looking too good. However I am cautiously optimistic about the rest of my fish.

Tony

How is your tank doing?

I got ich in one of my tanks(a 37). Lost one L-333 and one still isn't looking too good. However I am cautiously optimistic about the rest of my fish.

Jesse, sorry to hear that. The treatment is going really well in my tank. As of yesterday, visually, there were no affected fish. I know that there are still bugs in the water, but it's definitely a good sign. I'm going to continue treatment for another week or so, but think I'm in the clear.

Are you going to run the same treatment on your tank?

verbal

CCA Members
I have been using meds and heat. I used them at 1/2 strength since I have catfish and puffers in the tank.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Jesse, sorry to hear that. The treatment is going really well in my tank. As of yesterday, visually, there were no affected fish. I know that there are still bugs in the water, but it's definitely a good sign. I'm going to continue treatment for another week or so, but think I'm in the clear.

Are you going to run the same treatment on your tank?
woot, that is good news!

chris_todd

Members
So it would appear I have the same thing (or something similar) going on in my 90 gallon african tank as well. The fish were acting weird a few days ago, flashing and twitching and breathing heavy, so I tested the water, 0 nitrite, 0 ammonia, but pH was 6.7, which is weird because while there are a few bolbitis, it's not like I'm injecting CO2, and my tap water typically comes out 7.6 to 7.8. So I did a massive (80%) water change, and added some baking soda to get the pH up to about 7.6, and while some of the fish started behaving more normally, several were still freaking out a bit.

Come home tonight, and there's one dead fish, and several that look like they're sugar-coated (white pasty sheen). So I'm going to start raising the temp.

Tony, may I assume that your africans were able to handle 90* F OK?

Tank details:
Bare-bottomed 90g with some PVC and driftwood with bolbitis, Eheim 2217, Rena XP2, and AC110, Koralia powerhead aimed up at water surface for aeration, temp about 79* F, mostly african cichlids (peacocks, haps, and a few vics), but also a 12" pleco, three small (<2") Oscars, several BN plecos, and a few clown plecos.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
just really crank the oxygen levels, Chris. Dissolved oxygen is much less available at that high of a temp. I generally do 84-86 with 2 tsp/gallon of salt- dropping my waterline or adding a powerhead.

Tony

Sorry to hear that Chris.

The tank that got sick was all South Americans, but the elevated temp plus heavy salt did the trick. When I get ich again in the future (not if, but when), gonna treat it the same way.

Your Africans will be fine with that high a temp. Like Rach said, run some extra air and you'll be fine. If you have a power head running, put the airstone right under the intake to blow the air around. Works great.

Btw, the 150 is going really well. Hecklii are about 3" now and the school of rummy noses are sporting the green spots on their heads (heard that this is a good sign). :)

ezrk

Members
We fixed ours with just heat and no salt. We went to 86F for 10 days with a spurt of 89F in the middle for about 24 hours. We didn't use salt as we were worried about plants and a pleco.

We did a bit to make sure we have lots of surface movement, but the fish were fine the whole time. In fact, they were extra rambunctious as the warm water made them very frisky. The only danger was from fighting, which occurred at a much greater than usual rate...they also might have been even more ravenous than usual, but that is hard to judge with fish that are always hungry...

We did wind up having to buy some extra heaters, the Eheim Jager 150 + 75 couldn't get our 75g up above 83F or so even when on full time. Adding an Eheim 300W and a Fluval 300W eliminated that problem. One thing to watch is that the Fluval thermostat wound't go above 86F, fortunately we needed some new heaters anyway for our new tanks/sumps arriving shortly. The Eheims will let themselves go up to 89F.

Status
Not open for further replies.