• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

ICH and Cool Weather

Jay

CCA Members
ICH tends to show up during the transition into and out of the colder part of the year. There is a new form of ICH that attacks the inside of fish gills first making it harder to spot than traditional ICH. White spots do not always appear on the body with this type ICH. In addition, this type ICH in African Cichlids is resistant to some of the more harsher treatments. What works best on it is plain table salt (no iodine) at one teaspoon per gallon or Aquarium Salt, plus copper safe at one teaspoon per 4 gallons of water. Most times the salt alone will do the trick.
For years, ever since the two men from the Baltimore Aquarium spook at the CCA, I have been treating all my incoming fish with one teaspoon of table salt (no-iodine) for two weeks before I put them up for sale. Recently, I treated all my tanks this way to be sure there is no chance of this newer form of ICH showing up.
Another illness that can cause real headaches in these fish is internal worms. Until recently, that was a disease that could be very difficult both to catch and to treat. The main treatment for it was medicated flake food, but, many times the fish would not eat the food and that remedy would fail. The late Don Stoner taught me about a new treatment for this disease. New Life Spectrum Hex Gard works much better than flake food because the fish will almost always eat it. It can also be used as a preventative for three days with new fish. I, therefore, have added three days of treatment with this food to my two-week quarantine protocol before putting any new fish up for sale. My goal is to be able to provide healthy top quality fish to my customers. I do not want anyone getting a sick fish from CAS.
Over the years, I have reevaluated my wholesale sources and have moved to the one with the best selection of healthy fish. My wholesaler has upgraded his place from outdoor ponds to indoor greenhouses. This also helps to prevent disease by making it easier for him to discover, treat, and prevent in a more controlled environment.
Even with all these precautions, occasionally a fish with a hidden illness can slip through the system. For that reason, I suggest quarantining all new fish, no matter from whom you get the fish for two weeks. For African Cichlids, I suggest the same treatments I use during my quarantine. If you do not have a separate tank, for African Cichlids, at least treat you regular tank with one teaspoon of plain table salt (no iodine) per gallon for two weeks to be on the safe side when introducing a new fish. An ounce of prevention can save you a pound of problems later.