• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I hate it when this happens!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Hey Holly,

I was just wondering if when you are filling, do you use a syphon connected from the sink or do you carry buckets? I have noticed recently that when filling my tanks back up (like Matt, I do large changes weekly) the water looks white and cloudy. There have been instances where soon after the fish don't look happy. Once I turn back on the fx5s, all seems better. I have since gone to using much more cold water and less warm water when filling. I have seen some change in the initial cloudiness, but not much.

Hey Andrew. I use buckets. I have a phython, but like doing it the old fashioned way. The water looked normal. But just to be sure, I'm having it sit out for 24 hours before using it.

Matt -- I did start using Amquel last night. The nitrite was rising again but I really didn't want to do another water change and siphon out more of the expensive Dr. Tim's I kept throwing in the tank. The Amquel did bring the nitrite down to .5 and the huge amount of splash I had going in the tank seemed to make the fish quite comfortable.

Then, this morning, got a beautiful baby blue in the nitrite test. Yipeee!!! For me, I'm going to do tiny water changes for awhile and really make sure I'd got the Prime "swished around." I think maybe if I don't do that, some chlorine slips through and damages the bacterial colony? It's my only theory . . .

Thanks for holding my hand. I was very concerned about having a repeat of the big kill=off I had before, and that almost made me give up the hobby last time . ..