• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I hate it when this happens!

Did a water change on my 45-gallon peacock tank last night and woke up this morning to the fish breathing harder than usual. ARrgh. Did water tests and had measurable ammonia and nitrite (not tons, but there). I have this happen from time to time and don't know why. I did not open either of the filters during the water change nor did I do a super gravel vac. I quickly did a 50 percent water change and swapped one of the Fluval 305s for one on another tank and all was good by the time I was done (and finally headed to work). Not sure why this happens occasionally. I'm wondering if I didn't use enough Prime? I'm usually pretty generous with it, but sometimes I get a little paranoid and think I failed to dechlorinate one of the buckets of water . ..

I only changed about 30 percent.

I test the water by feel, but I'm sure it's within a normal level. Even if it's hotter than the 78 of the tank, I imagine when mixing it with the water still in the tank, the temp should be quickly moderated . . .

YSS

Members
This happend a few times to me as well. It might be something in the water on that particular day. I have lost quite a few fish from it as well. Glad things are ok.

cmcpart0422

Members
Happens to me too. I find that with my tap water in the summer/spring I need to do more frequent but smaller water changes, make sure the tap water is cold, and/or add prime and let the water sit in buckets with an air stone for a few hours.

If I were to do a large water change this time of year with 75-80 degree water I would kill most of my smaller fish and nearly kill the larger ones.

Well, I'm still fighting the nitrite. The ammonia is 0. I'm doing water changes morning and night now d added a powerhead to keep the water oxygenated. I"d swapped one of the filters with another tank, hoping that would help, and added two bottle of Dr. Tim's, but I was back to doing water changes this morning (so the Dr. Tim's goes down the drain, I guess) as the nitrite was up to 1 ppm.

I"m very annoyed with this.

I don't do large water changes. I"m sure the temp is within reason. I use Prime liberally. And this has happened to me before. It's very frustrating.

What does it mean to "check the tap" when seasons change?
Why do I need to use cooler water?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Well, I'm still fighting the nitrite. The ammonia is 0. I'm doing water changes morning and night now d added a powerhead to keep the water oxygenated. I"d swapped one of the filters with another tank, hoping that would help, and added two bottle of Dr. Tim's, but I was back to doing water changes this morning (so the Dr. Tim's goes down the drain, I guess) as the nitrite was up to 1 ppm.

I"m very annoyed with this.

I don't do large water changes. I"m sure the temp is within reason. I use Prime liberally. And this has happened to me before. It's very frustrating.

What does it mean to "check the tap" when seasons change?
Why do I need to use cooler water?

Think she was referring to test the parameters of your tap water; its possible it could come out with low nitirite levels.

Be careful using "Prime liberally" I think it can deplete oxygen levels if overdosed. Cooler water has higher dissolved oxygen content.

I guess that's the Catch 22 -- I need to do water changes with tap to reduce the nitrite levels in the tank and yet the tap may be a problem.

sigh . . .

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
If the fish were having problems the day after a water change, the overall problem isn't the temperature. If you're running an airstone, I wouldn't worry about adjusting the temp too much. I would age water without prime for water changes, and continue to monitor the nitrite levels. You could try a water change with some distilled water (but add baking soda for chemistry purposes) to see if the tap is the problem. I would discontinue any feeding until the problem is resolved as well.

I've stopped feeding.

The temp question was related to what another poster said about cooler temp water having more oxygen.

If I'm doing water changes twice a day, I don't have the ability to age the water. I'll test the tap for nitrites, but since the nitrites go down initially after a water change and then creep up over the course of the day, I don't think the nitrites in the tap is the issue . . .

I don't have an airstone in the tank but have dropped the water level so that the returns (there are two as there are two filters on the tank) create a lot of surface movement.

I read that adding salt to the water can help the fish. Anyone know about that and what ratio?

mscichlid

Founder
Stop. Test your tap water. What are the parameters coming from the tap: 24 hrs with aeration and prime added? Notice if the tap water is different like white or foamy looking when filling up a glass; smelly.

At the same time test your tank parameters. Have you added anything new like rock or wood or something? Are all your fish accounted for? If you have substrate deeper than 2.5", have you stirred it up recently?

All fish accounted for.
Water not smelly or unusual in any way. Problem with leaving it out for 24 hours means 24 hours without a water change. Nitrites in the tank this morning approached 1 ppm. BTW, what am I testing tap for -- nitrite, but other things? Not sure I have the full gamut of test kits . . .

I do have 5 gallons of RO I can use; that will help.

Nothing new added to the tank.

BUT -- fishies had done some gravel rearranging in the foreground (dug a pit) and I have moved the gravel from the sides to fill in the pit while I was doing the water change. Would that be enough distruption to affect the biological filter?

Ammonia BTW quickly went from .25 to 0

I tested the tap -- 0 ammonia; 0 nitrites

Tank has 0 ammonia. 1 ppm nitrite. I had no choice but to do a water change. I used half RO just in case.

Interestingly, fish do not appear at all distressed. I do have a significant amount of splash in the tank. If I hadn't tested the tank, I would not have thought anything was wrong with the tank.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Holly,

I find the problem that you're having with nitrites quite puzzling...ammonia and/or nitrite usually only are present if there's been a disruption with your nitrifying bacteria (the ones that convert ammonia and nitrite to nitrate) or something like a dead fish or a huge amount of other waste in the tank. Doesn't sound like this is the case.

I do large weekly water changes in all of my tanks, including gravel/sand vacuuming (I don't use much). I dose PRIME liberally (or approximately). I honestly don't think that your tap water is a proble (especially since you tested it and it came out OK). If there were high levels of nitrates or nitrites (or ammonia!) in your tap water, the fish would be the last thing I'd worry about.

If I were to guess what the causes could possibly be:
- Did you change the filter recently? Wash it out really (really) well? That can put you through a mini-cycle (i.e. ammonia / nitrite present)

- Did you use some kind of medication on the tank that kills bacteria (e.g. antibiotic)?

Good luck!
Matt

Hey Matt --no changes whatsoever to the tank. No new fish; no new decorations; no meds. Neither filter opened. Just a gravel vac (no more thorough than usual) and a 30 percent water change.

I've actually had this happen before and lost a whole tank of peacock/haps. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with my water changes. The only thing I can think of is either I'm not using enough Prime or I'm not swishing the water in the buckets to make sure it's spread through the water sufficiently.

I did swap out one of the 305s on the African tank for one on the planted tank, hoping there'd be enough bacterial colony to re-seed the African tank. That doesn't seem to have happened. I've also used enough Dr. Tim's for 90 gallons; doesn't seem to be working. I'm very upset and worried.

I still could swap out the 405s between the African tank and the planted tank, but am afraid to throw that tank into crisis, too.

Sigh. I have to keep reminding myself this is supposed to be fun.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Holly,

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong...actually lots of right stuff!

You shouldn't worry so much about using Prime - in 20+ years of keeping fish I've never used it (or any dechlorinator) wrong (other than forgetting to use it...which, ironically, didn't seem to matter...but that's another story). Before you add water, after, during, swish it around, don't, too much, too little...it's all good!

Peacocks like water changes...lots of them...big ones...If in doubt I do more vs. less.

I'd hit the tank with Amquel...do a 50% water change...and see what happens :)

Hang in there!

Matt

Hey Matt --no changes whatsoever to the tank. No new fish; no new decorations; no meds. Neither filter opened. Just a gravel vac (no more thorough than usual) and a 30 percent water change.

I've actually had this happen before and lost a whole tank of peacock/haps. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong with my water changes. The only thing I can think of is either I'm not using enough Prime or I'm not swishing the water in the buckets to make sure it's spread through the water sufficiently.

I did swap out one of the 305s on the African tank for one on the planted tank, hoping there'd be enough bacterial colony to re-seed the African tank. That doesn't seem to have happened. I've also used enough Dr. Tim's for 90 gallons; doesn't seem to be working. I'm very upset and worried.

I still could swap out the 405s between the African tank and the planted tank, but am afraid to throw that tank into crisis, too.

Sigh. I have to keep reminding myself this is supposed to be fun.