• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How many hours of lighting?

chriscoli

Administrator
I was wondering what other folks are doing for lighting duration?

How many hours of lighting are you running a fish-only (no plants) tank?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I only use overhead lights in my fishroom and I have a timer that turns a light (13W flourescent) on at 8 AM and off at 9 PM. I usually turn on one other manually when I'm down in the fishroom.

Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
My non-planted tanks at home receive indirect, natural light. I have fixtures on their tanks but rarely use them. The tank in my classroom is lit 8-5 M-F for my students.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
I was always told the light was for viewing, fish really only need minimal light. I only have lights on timers on planted tanks. My show tank gets indirect light from outside.

ddavila06

Members
what kind of light do you have? if its something strong like compact flourescent or T5ho then shorter hours would be better in planted and non because of the risk of getting algea...

all my tanks have T5s and all are in timers. start at around 7 am to 9 pm with 2-3 hours nap

dogofwar

CCA Members
My fishroom's in a room in the basement with no windows...so it would be pitch black without a light on.

I think that having the lights (or access to ambient light) on a regular and natural schedule is more important than the amount of light (for fish that is)...

Matt

rsretep

Members
I only light my "fish only" tanks when I am viewing them, my planted tanks are on timers for 8 to 10 hours.

chriscoli

Administrator
Thanks for the input, everyone. Although I have a lot of planted tanks, I have a few without... but out of habit (or convenience) they are on the same schedule as the planted ones. Sounds like I could leave them off the timers, use ambient light from the room or other tanks, and just turn them on when I'm looking at them or working on them.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I have only anubias in most of my tanks... not really considered a real plant in terms of lighting.

My lights are on when I'm home.... 5:30PM to midnight.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Where do you go after midnight, Tony?

th

To save energy I reduced the lighting on all my nonplanted tanks to 5.5 hours a day (4pm-9:30 pm). This is when I am home and can work on them. On weekends I do it 9 am to 10 pm.

My planted tanks are run at 15 hours a day (6 am until 9 pm).

I used to have all the lights on my nonplanted tanks come on at noon but after cutting it back I was able to save about $10 a month in electric.

Andy