• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How do I treat an a Apistogramma that is dragging the bottom

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
My female A. Panduro is dragging the herself along the substrate. She is eating fine. But she seems unable to generate bouyance with her swim balladder. The last food she was feed before I discovered that was blood worms. I did a 50% water change up the temp and added some salt. The next day I started dosing ethromycin. Is this the proper course of treatment?

Beeman

Members
Not weighing in with any helpful advise unfortunately, but I'm very curious about the blood-worm aspect here. I have lost a few fish over the last year within a day or two after feeding blood-worms, all were in fine health up to the feeding. I suspect impaction, so have stopped feeding blood-worms. Has anyone else found similar consequences after feeding blood-worms?

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I think left over blood worms in the tank that are eaten later may be the cause. But I don't know. If I can't cure this she will be the second fish I have lost to this type of illness. Because I didn't know how to cure it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I hate seeing 'belly slider' (not the kind from the restaurant), sounds like a case of swim bladder infection. Most of the time it is caused by gram +ve bacteria. You can probably use any broad spectrum antibiotics to take care of it. Some people report positive results with Maracyn 1&2 combine. 1 is for +ve and 2 is for -ve.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I hate seeing 'belly slider' (not the kind from the restaurant), sounds like a case of swim bladder infection. Most of the time it is caused by gram +ve bacteria. You can probably use any broad spectrum antibiotics to take care of it. Some people report positive results with Maracyn 1&2 combine. 1 is for +ve and 2 is for -ve.

Thanks I have started a course of Eythromycin. I will try that if the Eythromycin doesn't work.

You should see positive result like the fish starting to come off the bottom in a couple of days. If not, chances are it is too far gone.

JLW

CCA Members
Have you tried injecting the fish with a small amount of air? :p

What's your water quality like? A lot of time, "belly sliding" is more a sign of deteriorating water quality than anything else.

I would be hesitant to use erythromyacin. It is mostly for gram positive bacteria, and it's effectiveness is suspect. It really does damage your biofilter, though. I would try, instead, Kanamycin.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
The eythromycin seemed to help some. I am trying Maracyn 2 starting today. The fish isn't circling the drain so I guess that's a positive.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app