• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hope from the "watering hole" that is the LFS...

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Today, I felt a little more uplifted by some experiences so far this weekend, so I’m putting my usual grumpy, cynical, sarcastic self on the back burner for the day to give us a little lift. That’s right- I’m praising us for a change. Don’t worry, I haven’t gone “soft”…By tomorrow, I’ll have something to rail about, trust me.
default_smile.png

13606496_10208245527650171_332389544818957067_n_large.jpg

I had occasion to go to one of my local fish stores this weekend (Hey, I’m a fish geek, right? It’s still fun!), and, amid the usual hustle, bustle, and hobbyist banter, I made a social observation:

When you think about it, we as hardcore fish geeks (Okay, aquarium hobbyists in general, but hardcore fish geeks in particular, really) have an incredible amount of knowledge about some very arcane facts, don’t we? ( So says the guy who is obsessed with decomposing leaves in his aquariums…)

IMG_4386_large.JPG

“Phosphate”, “dirted tanks”, “aufwuchs”, “ferric aluminum oxide”, “Laetacara thayeri” , “zeolites”, “reverse osmosis”, “magnesium levels”, and “ORP” were some of the words I heard in discussions upon entering the shop. You know, those little discussions that take place between fish geeks in odd corners of the LFS, when contemplating which fish to buy, etc…One of the best parts of fish-geek culture and an advantage of hanging out at the metaphorical “watering hole” that is the LFS. (click to read more)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Used to stop by "Tropical Fish World" (AKA "Fish Store") in Gaithersburg on the way home from work at least a couple of times per week. Would usually run into some of the usual suspects or maybe someone who had journied from further afield. Too bad they didn't serve beer!

Sadly it closed. Neighborhood LFS are a dying breed. There's something about, "See you at PetsMart" that makes me itch. Just not the same.

Matt

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
That's because Petsmart has no attachment to local breeders or any animal that they sell. They have little idea of where they came from. You're right. It's just not the same.

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
I think you both hit it on the head...not that the "big guys" CAN'T "get it" and foster a cultural vibe...It's just that they're not seeing the value in it..or the rationale behind it...They're based on mainly a merchandising model, and the "community" in the sense that we as fish geeks are used to is simply not on their radar...If they WANTED to build such a community; foster a sense of "wanting to belong" , etc., I think the benefit to the hobby would be enormous.

Fortunately, the LFS can do this better than any other institution can- be it the "big box" pet stores, online vendors, etc. - and it typically happens "organically", without intentional effort by the store.. The "if you build it- they will come" thing...But then again, not really. The LFS culture is the byproduct of a great place, good selection, care, and understanding...and the "organic" embrace of the local fish keeping community to make it all come alive. You can't fake it...This "authentic" vibe transcends any intentional marketing effort a store or vendor can make...it's natural, beautiful- and lasting. LONG LIVE THE LFS!!!!