• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Here Comes Irene

YSS

Members
Everything's good. It was pretty windy and raining hard all night, but we appear to have come out ok. Hope everyone's doing well. Now, I have to start working supporting Irene damage asessment up and down the cost for the gov't.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Amazingly, we never lost power in the northern end of DC. The wind around 1 am was amazing, with the house seeming to shudder. I was sure we'd lose power.

It's now just very breezy here, supposedly one more band of rain to come. We got about 4 inches here.

Cores aren't spawning, yet. Just did another water change.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
still blowing like crazy up here. No real damage other than I had to spend time draining my bins and removing branches. Lots of tree debris around but that is it so far. Fingers crossed

Sorry I missed the chat room opportunity last night. Peacock breeding ....ooohhhh ahhhhh

Actually, Tony, speaking of that, I spotted a tiny ruby red fry in my rock pile yesterday, so at least one little guy in hanging on against the petricola.

Kept power. Had one flicker. Got hardly any sleep. I'm on the third floor of a townhouse on a hill. VEERRRYYYY scary. Frotunately, dogs were completely oblivious. One even decided it was time to go out to pee in the middle of the mayhem.

Andrew TFW -- if you run low on battery powered air stones, I have three to loan since it appears for now I don't need them.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Oh, Hey! Was there a storm last night? :smashfreakB:

We never lost power or cable in my area. :character0272: There are a bunch of branches and leaves scattered across the yard. Loving my power co. right now. Of course I'll complain when they up my rates in the fall. lol.

dogofwar

CCA Members
We evidently lost power momentarily at 2 AM. I was asleep but a digital clock was flickering. We live in a really wooded neighborhood and a couple of trees were down but no major damage...

Matt

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
My son called early to say his power had been out for about 7 hours.
Tracey and I loaded the generator into the back of my truck after getting it off the deck.
I left and was only about 100 yards away when she texted me saying that our power went out at home. LOL
I drove to my son's house. We unloaded the gererator and took it around back. I turned the gas on and their power came back on. So then we loaded it back into the truck. LOL

Went to 2 other relatives houses and hooked up their fridges for an hour or so. Got them down to temp and moved on.
My power came back on here before I got home.

Saw some trees down and a couple of poles but thats about it.

Charlutz

Members
Our power went out about 1130p last night. Had guys over the monthly poker game. Played the last two hours by flashlight. One guy's wife called him home as soon as the power went out... like he was going to do something about it. :D power came on at 11a this morning, so no damage done, but it was the longest power outage for us in a decade. We are very lucky to have pretty stable power as Columbia's lines are all underground.

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
The power flickered off a couple of times during the night but came back on immediately. One of my dogs has major storm anxiety and given the chance she will hurt herself. In the past I've actually had to physically hold her down through an entire storm. Now she gets a Xanax. :rolleyes: It was the first time, I've used one since I got the prescription for her. Worked like a charm!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Just got home again from running around cooling refrigerators.
I did the second go around. An hour at one place and then 90 minutes at my sisters and my mothers.(they live next to each other) Unplugged the generator after the 90 minutes and the power came on at their house.....
Still have one relative(my son's inlaws) without power that I will go to early in the am before work I guess.... grr. Been there twice today so far.
lol

mscichlid

Founder
I'm baaaaaack!

Hell of a night! Made a bed in the basement because of the big oak in backyard. Watched a little football and Irene news. Lights started to flicker and then stopped. Then bam. . . out at 12:30 am. Oh well. Tooth is killing me anyway; go to sleep.

Woke up, checked fishroom. F'n floor is wet! Run and get a million towels to soak it up. Need coffee. Still raining hard in the morning, but had to find coffee. No power anywhere, roads blocked off. Poles with transformers broken in half and on the ground. Hi water, big branches across lines. I drove North, East, South and West and finally found a Safeway in Burtonsville that had a Starbucks. 22 miles for disgusting coffee.

Had to walk the dogs in the rain. 2 houses down the street; a large crane and chipper truck set up because a big a$$ tree fell on them.

Worrying about all the frozen fishfood and stuff in people fridge. Ice in cooler is melting and running out of Heineken. The 7-11 has no power. Neither does McDonalds.

Then to top it all off, the lady whose dog I have been fostering for over a month decides she wants to keep him and thus pick him up today. Pissed and hurt, I said my goodbye. Decided to take it out on the lawn. Cut the grass and picked up all the limbs and branches. Still have to cut all that crap up.

Trying to figure out what to do with all the food I'll have to cook in the freezer. . .while reading a book by flashlight.

Then BAM! Power came back on at 11:53.

Checked all filters. They all started back up. Will get no sleep because I'll be checking on the fish all night.

maddog10

Members
My power just came back on, was out for about 36 hours. Looks like all fish survived. Had about 12" of rain. Lots of branches and several small trees down in my yard. Large trees were down in all my neighbors yards, but it looks like it missed all the houses. Took a quick drive yesterday morning. Trees down EVERYWHERE. Roof leaked in family room, hope it was just the wind pushing the water under the shingles. Need to throw out a lot of food that melted in the freezers. All in all, I got off easy.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Our power was off for a couple of hours late Saturday night, but was back on when we woke up. Short of a random tree down here and there, western Montgomery County was pretty much skipped over.

Jim Peck is not so lucky. His power has been out since Saturday night and he's done what he can with water changes and battery-powered bubblers. The worst part of the whole thing is that he had to leave on a business trip this morning.

I have the phone number to the front desk. Will call after my 12:00 meeting to see if the power in his building is up. If not, will leave work early, go catch all his fish and bring them to my place until he gets back. I wish I could get over there sooner.

Glad no one was hurt. We lost power for about 3 hours and i got worried i would lose all the fry i got from Tony. But we managed, aside from a couple downed trees, there was not much damage down my way in woodbridge Va.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Oh, Hey! Was there a storm last night? :smashfreakB:

We never lost power or cable in my area. :character0272: There are a bunch of branches and leaves scattered across the yard. Loving my power co. right now. Of course I'll complain when they up my rates in the fall. lol.
SAME HERE LOL :D

chris_todd

Members
Yeah, our power went out sometime around 5 am Sunday. Just came back on an hour ago (though it came on for about half an hour this morning).

Work has power though, so I'm at work. :(

Praise be to my wife, who had the foresight to rent a generator last week. It has powered our sump pumps, fridge, and we've been switching it around to power various tanks. We also had those brilliant little battery operated air pumps on our three most heavily stocked tanks. When I left for work this morning, none of the fish tanks were showing issues, though the tank temps had dropped to about 74. The discus seem a bit lethargic, but I'm guessing they'll be OK.