• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help!

Sprattster07

Members
We have recently had two fish pass away, the first one was clearly just injured and the other we aren't sure. This morning looking around the tank we see signs of possible ich on a couple of fish but with the known aggression in our tank we aren't sure if these few fish have just gotten beaten up. Is there anyone who could help me tell the difference???

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ick looks like someone sprinkled salt on the fish. you may also notice them flashing against the substrate or objects.

Violence often includes missing scales and ripped fins.

What is in your tank? Did you recently add some stock?

Sprattster07

Members
We haven't recently added anything but one of our bigger pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos has shown some aggression towards the smaller afras and the other male of his species. Should we just remove the male with most aggression?

dogofwar

CCA Members
post a clear pic...

Ich looks like fine white powder on the fish.

Stressed fish are more susceptible to it, so you could have beat up fish with ich.

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Google images is your friend

Nothing else looks like on a fish. Tiny wee little white spots/dots. Lots of them. Not hard to treat, and can attack/attach itself to stressed/compromised fish before it does healthy ones. Also about the easiest thing to diagnose - if you see said "signs of ich" it's no longer a question as the only "signs" are those that synonymous with the presence of the parasite.

Crank the temperature up to 90 degrees for three days or 86 for a week and that should do it. A big water change beforehand and extra aeration while doing so is strongly recommended as warmer water contains less dissolved oxygen. Some people use salt as well but it's not necessary. Malachite green is the next cheapest off the shelf chemical treatment and is safe for all but a few things (some invertebrates and catfish) but it also is not necessary but it does work really fast.

And you might want to find other accommodations for any victims of aggression. Those types of situations generally deteriorate rather than improve...

Luck.

Crank the temperature up to 90 degrees for three days or 86 for a week and that should do it.

Just curious....should these temp changes be done on an on-off basis - meaning, should you go immediately from current temp to 90 or 86, then once the prescribed time period is up, go right back down to a "normal" temp? Or, should the temp changes be made gradually, over some period of time?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Let there be heat

IME fish can handle a lot, but do not respond well to sudden changes in any parameter (except maybe the introduction of food). That being said, increasing temperature is better done gradually but that is somewhat inherent in the way a heater warms a large tank. I keep most of my tanks (New World) coolish (70º - 74º F) so I would do a shift to 90º in 2 or 3 steps over 1-2 days and couldn't use this technique for a few certain species (Scleromystax catfish would die).

Am not much a keeper of Rift Lake species but assuming one begins at 78º I wouldn't have any qualms about going to 90º in 24 hours in two steps. As far as returning to normal, since going from 90º to something in the 70ºs range is clearly going to reduce stress I'd simply return the heater to its normal setting and let the tank cool of its own accord, more so as water holds heat energy rather well and lidded tanks tend to cool down pretty slowly.

Sprattster07

Members
With a bit more observation, our cyaneorhabdos has been a victim of attack. The others are fine and we had a back up tank running so we removed him for healing. He isn't too torn up so hopefully this will do just fine.

What is your stocking in what size tank? Possible that you are trying to keep too many fish in too small of a tank, your gender ratios are off, you have a particularly aggressive bully who needs to be removed or you don't have enough sight breaks to keep everyone happy.

You've got to look at the base reasons for the violence or you'll be fishing out beaten up fish from here to Sunday.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - what size tank and how is it stocked (filtered, etc.)?

Often, having MORE mbuna in a tank is better than too few...spreads the aggression...but also requires extra vigilence with regard to water quality....

Matt