• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help..one of my Africans is breathing heavy

One of my Africans is breathing heavy and not eating but no other signs of being sick, its my ventus, no one has been chasing him and all the rest seam fine. Tank is 75 gallon with 2 whisper 60s
Gh60
Kh80
Ph7.8
Nitrite .5
Nitrate 40

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I going to do one tomorrow, I change 20 gallons a week, I just noticed him acting strange so I tested my water quick

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'd up the water changes for sure. 20 gallons per week isn't enough in my opinion, and I believe that there is scientific evidence that says you really don't get the impact of removing a lot of nitrates until you get to the 50% range (although I am being lazy and not looking it up on google).

I'd try that and some additional agitation of the water surface to increase oxygen.

Any presence of nitrite in an established tank is cause for worry. I personally would have done a large water change immediately upon getting such a reading. If you're getting nitrite (I've lost a whole tank to an unexplained spike, so I'm a bit paranoid) lower the water level to increase splash and/or add an air stone. Nitrite affects oxygen absorption and it's likely to affect the largest fish first. Overdosing with prime can also help as does bringing over a sponge filter or media from another established tank.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
If the rest of the fish are breathing fine, then it's something inside of him. I concur with the water changes, but if you have a separate tank move him there and monitor his behavior. Just a thought.

The only other tank I have set up is my piranha tank and that wouldn't work out well...yeah its only him breathing heavy but he's swimming around fine and hasn't eaten in 2 days

I have a air stone and I know I need a water change, I'm going to do one after work, he isn't my biggest fish, he's young only about 4 inch