• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

help needed

hey all, OK so i bought myself 2 discus breeding pairs about a month ago because i just love discus and i would like to start breeding this awesome fish.the Marlboro and sunset pigeon blood pair where with me for about 4 days when the started laying eggs for the first time, the next day when i got to the tank the eggs where eaten,this has now happened 3 times already,my blue diamond pair have only laid eggs ones this far and also ate the eggs the next day.both of my pairs is in a 250lt tank witch i divided in half so the pairs cant see each other,i use only OR water and my hardness is between 50 and 100 at all times.my question is how long is this going to continue.

YSS

Members
Are there any other fish in the tank? Usually, discus breeders only keep a pair in the tank and no other fish. Not sure keeping two pairs in a divided tank makes any difference. New parents usually take a while before they start raising fry.

verbal

CCA Members
I can't recall where, but I saw somewhere a guard that was placed over a spawning cone that would let the parents fan the eggs, but not eat them. Maybe that will help with your pairs.

IMFROMDC

Members
Try keeping lights off threw out the laying and hatching once they become wigglers then turn lights back on it worked for me with my dovii pair .... good luck

Jeff721

Members
This will not be beneficial now, but maybe later. I was reading in Amazonas about one of the big discus breeders using "foster parents" for his fry of the brighter colored fish. Apparently without the ability for the parents to develop their dark bars/stripes the fry have a hard time locating them to feed off of them. Maybe something to consider with marlboros and pigeon bloods.

I agree though, look at stress factors such as lighting and even traffic in and around the tanks.