• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello from another new guy

ChiefSmo

Greetings all.

My name is James, and I am new to Cichlids. I recently retired from the Army and in my research found that fish tanks, among other things, are useful for people with PTSD. I had previously looked at saltwater because I didn't know that freshwater fish offered the color you get in reef tank. That was until a friend of mine told me to look up African Cichlids. Needless to say, here I am, ready to start. I'm in the process of putting together a 75g tank, and will be looking for advice/suggestions/recommendations as I get my feet wet (pun intended).

Hope to be part of this community.

James

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Welcome, James! Thank you for your service. You have joined a welcoming and highly experienced group of people. I am certain that you will get the assistance you seek.
What types of African cichlids are you considering?

ChiefSmo

Seeing as how I am a beginner, nothing too crazy. From my limited knowledge, I think I'll stick with Peacocks (minus the yellow Mbunas (?) I want to get) as I understand they are less aggressive than others. I'm very fond of red and blues, so I'm considering some Lemon Jake's (?), Ruby Reds, and German Reds.

One question in regards to species: I understand males are aggressive, but it can be countered by hidey holes and putting a lot of fish in the tank. True? Or YouTube fallacy?

CichlidDan

Members
Thank You for your service and welcome to the forum! Also when your ready to buy fish Lane Kelly, Pat Kelly and Reed all have nice African cichlids that they breed.

Freakgecko

Members
Greetings all.

My name is James, and I am new to Cichlids. I recently retired from the Army and in my research found that fish tanks, among other things, are useful for people with PTSD. I had previously looked at saltwater because I didn't know that freshwater fish offered the color you get in reef tank. That was until a friend of mine told me to look up African Cichlids. Needless to say, here I am, ready to start. I'm in the process of putting together a 75g tank, and will be looking for advice/suggestions/recommendations as I get my feet wet (pun intended).

James
Welcome!

my best advice is research as much as you can. A lot of people jump into Africans by buying a bunch from the assorted tanks at Petco or Petsmart and end up with a bad mix of mbuna species that end up killing each other. If you take the time and find what you want, the tank will be infinitely more enjoyable and relaxing for you.

good luck! Hope to see ya at one of the next meetings!

FishEggs

Hello and welcome aboard Chief.
Thank you.
Hopefully your feet dont get wet, that could be a problem.
Any equipment you still need?

Becca

Members
Welcome to the best club for lovers of cichlids and questionable puns! I'd be willing to bet that fellow members might let you do a "tank tour" of what they're keeping so you can get an idea of the variety of options available, if you want.

lock jaw

CCA Members
Seeing as how I am a beginner, nothing too crazy. From my limited knowledge, I think I'll stick with Peacocks (minus the yellow Mbunas (?) I want to get) as I understand they are less aggressive than others. I'm very fond of red and blues, so I'm considering some Lemon Jake's (?), Ruby Reds, and German Reds.

One question in regards to species: I understand males are aggressive, but it can be countered by hidey holes and putting a lot of fish in the tank. True? Or YouTube fallacy?

The caves are for them to hide from too much aggression. Over stocking does help, makes your tank crowded and an aggressive male would have more to fight with. There are lots of people with experience here and can provide good advice.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Welcome, and thanks for your service.
If you plan to keep mbunas you need more hiding places than fish but that means there are places for debris to hide and make cleaning a problem. Caves ar not as good as tunnels, since fish can escape out the other end of a tunnel. Peacocks on the other hand can be kept without injury if you have lots of them so no one fish is picked on. The other strategy with peacocks is to get one or two males of each kind.

Last edited:

SNBailey

Greetings all.

James

Welcome Africans are great for all their color. But high aggression especially mbuna. Special care when introducing new tank mates. Peacocks and yellow labs are easier but still rough

oscars are like aquatic dogs They seem to truly love you. Most big South Americans too but to a lesser extent

if you want cichlids that’s you can mix with other fish types look to the “steely” hybrids and kribs. See pic

tank is being Broken down so not great right now.

Note I have a breed stock 5 pairs of female-yellow variety manganos free to good home. 35807B46-5153-4B00-BEA2-D68E24FBE6DB.jpeg

Scraps

Super Genius
Staff member
Welcome! You should attend our monthly meetings in Silver Spring. We have speakers and you cam meet allot of great fishy people!