• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello all !

Duane911

Members
Hello, Duane here. I absolutley love Cichlids and I've only been into them for about a year. I've been gathering advice from different sources like pet stores, forums, web sites about filtration and I settled on Marinelands penguin 350. I have two filtering my 55 gal. I've had them for about a month and I feel like the water isn't getting crystal clear. I do 20% water changes weekly. If there is any advice, please send it my way. I do not want to purchase new filters though. Glad to be here !!

Duane M.
Woodbridge, Va

Matt

Members
how long has the tank been set up? Those filters are fine, if the set up is new and you are doing constant water changes then you are probably seeing bacterial bloom as the tank is trying to cycle. If thats the case it is normal and should get better on its own, if thats not the problem then get a tank clearing agent and put some pieces of 50 or 100 micron filter pad inside your 350's with the other media for a day or so until it clears up. Does the water test OK?

I think Matt hit it! Welcome to the site. Maybe search the web for info on the cycling process and it may give you a better understanding of whats goin on.

Duane911

Members
My water tests fine. It's just I'm not getting that crystal clear water that I see in everyones pics. The tank has been up and running for two and a half months or more and the filters have been in for about a month. Plus one of the filters makes a grinding noise that's very loud and then goes away as fast as it came. ?????

mscichlid

Founder
The grinding noise ain't a good thing. Could be sand or a piece of gravel somewhere around the impeller.

Ophelia77

Members
Welcome :) And do you have a background on your tank? i know the ones we have without background appear murkier just because you can see all the way through them...

marge618

CCA member
Hello Duane,
Welcome. As you can see this group is really friendly. Their advice ins usually right on.