• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Having my doubts please help ID

Harley

Hi I purchased this cichlid at a pet store as a Uaru ($25.99) it is about 1.5 to 2 inches in size. Cant tell you how long I been trying to get my hands on a Uaru wanted more than one but when I saw this one and it was labeled Uaru I didn't hesitate, that may have been my first mistake but hopefully not. Any way the reason that I am having doubt is because of the blue eyes and the blue developing on the underside of the cichlid. I have not seen any pics of Uaru displaying this color, so am I right its not a Uaru or am i mistaken and it is? Thank you so much for any help. Hope the pics are good enough to help, he wouldn't sit still...lol

thumbnail 2.jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail1.jpg

Freakgecko

Members
Yeah, definitely not a Uaru. Agreed, looks like an amatitlania or cryptoheros species from Central America.

Also a heads up that Uaru can be quite difficult, typically requiring pretty pristine conditions. The fish you have there will be MUCH more forgiving on tank parameters and such

Triviashi_Maru

CCA Members
If anyone is looking for Uaru, Go Fish in Baltimore had a large spawn last year and they're selling them way bellow going prices. When they re-open, that is.

Harley

thanks but i figured it out Archocentrus spilurum is a Central American fish species commonly referred to as the Blue-Eye cichlid

jonclark96

Past CCA President
thanks but i figured it out Archocentrus spilurum is a Central American fish species commonly referred to as the Blue-Eye cichlid
Spilurum aren't very common in the hobby, and the ones that I kept many years ago were more of a steel gray color. The yellow/gold hue on your fish is much closer to cutteri, which is much more common.

Freakgecko

Members
Spilurum aren't very common in the hobby, and the ones that I kept many years ago were more of a steel gray color. The yellow/gold hue on your fish is much closer to cutteri, which is much more common.

I’m thinking Sajica. Bands aren’t defined enough and clean enough for cutteri IMO

jonclark96

Past CCA President
You may be right on sajica. It's been a while since i kept them, but now that you say it, I tend to agree. Definitely not spilurum.