• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Haplochromis / Haplochromide?

Tankster

Members
I am not deep enough into the hobby to know all the scientific names and, or the subtlety to them. I want to add some Haplochromis to my all male peacock tank and have seen, when selecting Haplochromis that the site lists Haplochromide. Can someone educate me on this?

Thanks!

neut

Members
Essentially an alternate spelling for the more common "haplochromine".

You may already know this, but in simple terms, we generally group Malawi cichlids into peacocks (aulonocara species), mbuna (a large group of rock dwellers of varying genera and species) and haps. Hobbyists generally call most Malawi cichlids that aren't peacocks or mbuna "haps". Technically, they're all haplochromine (LINK), including East African cichlids from other lakes, but they probably mean 'haps' and are just trying to sound impressive.

Tankster

Members
Essentially an alternate spelling for the more common "haplochromine". but they probably mean 'haps' and are just trying to sound impressive.

He has been in the hobby 30 years. I was already impressed!

Thanks a bunch for the detailed response - makes sense and cleared up the confusion on naming conventions... but now leaves me in the wind on compatibility. I am going to assume, having been told "haps are good tank mates for Aulonocara", that that does not hold true for ALL haps since Haps fall into an "everything else" bucket.

I am to the point where I am focusing on rarity and color variety in stocking. I have a long way to go until fully stocked - 240 gallons with only 10 peacocks, and want to make sure I get it right the first time. A couple of the questions I am pondering.

Can you mix Malawi, Victoria, and Tanganyika Haps?

Are Haps from all 3 sources compatible with Aulonocara?

Are there any really good books or online resources (other than forums) where I can immerse myself in this? I love this forum but prefer to educate myself and then come here for the things I don' completely understand, and the social aspect of communicating with like minded (fish crazy) people.

Thanks again!
Greg

neut

Members
Can you mix Malawi, Victoria, and Tanganyika Haps?

Are Haps from all 3 sources compatible with Aulonocara?
People don't normally refer to Tanganyikan cichlids as haps, partly because of their distinctiveness from cichlids in the other lakes and partly because it's been a long time since most Tanganyikan cichlids were ever thought to be related closely to cichlids in the other lakes (there are just a couple of exceptions-- also Haplochromis is a sub family of the Haplochromines, so Tanganyikan cichlids are still Haplochromines). So people are more likely to call them Tanganyikan cichlids or sometimes 'Tangs' as shorthand. Most Malawi cichlids that were formerly "Haplochromis" have been separated into their own groups as finer distinctions between have been made over the years, but the loose term 'haps' has stuck. There are Victorian cichlids technically In the Haplochromis family. As far as compatibility, it depends a lot on species. A lot of Victorian 'haps' are closer to mbuna in behavior than to peacocks. A good number of Malawi haps will work with peacocks, some of that depends on species and tank size. There are some really beautiful Malawi haps and they're less likely to be hybrid or line bred inventions, especially when you buy them as specifically a certain species-- an exception are some of the designer electric blue fryeri. Some Tanganyikans will work with peacocks, (or vice versa, some peacocks will work in some Tanganyikan tanks), depends on species, tank size, etc.

Are there any really good books or online resources (other than forums) where I can immerse myself in this? I love this forum but prefer to educate myself and then come here for the things I don' completely understand, and the social aspect of communicating with like minded (fish crazy) people.
It's been a while since I was really into African cichlids (though I still have Kapampa gibberosa) I used to have the Pablo Tepoot cichlid books, photos and brief descriptions of many species, don't know how available they are anymore, cost, etc., but they used to be a good starting point to get an idea of many of the African cichlids available. There's also this Profile list, not to be taken as gospel in all cases but a decent general resource. Other than that, not sure. Forums vary in expertise, a few are very good, some decent or okay, some are lacking for knowledgeable members.

Last edited: