• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Grrrr. This is why I can't have nice things!

chriscoli

Administrator
I did a waterchange on one of my little tanks tonight (15 gal column) and as I was refilling, I knocked my new (used, but new to me) LED light into the tank! Thankfully, it was unplugged at the time. But the poor thing ended up completely submerged.

I've opened it up as much as I can and blotted/shaken as much of the water out as I can. I guess I'll wait a few days for it to dry and hope that it still works.

Any suggestions for drying out electronics?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Nonsense

Grrrr. This is why I can't have nice things!

Any suggestions for drying out electronics?

What about Bruce? He seems nice...

It'll be fine. I saw an Apple laptop get dropped in a lake and once it dried out it was fine. If you have a gas range with pilot lights you can park it inside for a day or two, and hair dryers are also handy for such...

chriscoli

Administrator
You're right, Bruce is a very nice thing! :)

It's only a 12" light, so it could probably fit into a gallon zip bag. Now that you've got me thinking, I even have a container of silica gel (for drying flowers) that I could put in with it.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
You might contact the manufacturer and ask about water contact. LEDs are often modular and should not be hurt by water. They are also used in outdoor lighting.

Jeff721

Members
Like Jon said, put it in a container of dry rice, completely buried in it. Can't remember if used a sealed container.

I know it's not the smartest thing, but I have pulled a PC light out of someone's tank before while it was still on and it kept working fine. Given that LEDs are much more water resistant than fluorescents I think it'll be fine.

Jefft

Members
I know an iphone is not an LED light but if said iphone was to be dropped in tank they say submersion in alcohol is the way to go. The alcohol lifts away all water as they cant mix and then dries quickly in room air. Could be a quicker route than rice? I dunno though.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
christine, i cannot count with my digits how many light fixtures I have dropped in tanks when they were on, including LED's. They all have dried out fine and worked. I just let them dry out for a couple days then plug them back in.

Hawkman2000

Members
3 of my friends have done the rice in a bag thing with smart phones successfully. With a light fixture, however, I would take it apart, blast it out with duster or pressurized air, and let it sit for a day or two.

I would think twice about soaking electronics in alcohol for and extended period of time. It might soften some of the adhesives in them.

I have cleaned many circuit boards and such with alcohol, but I always blast it off right away with duster or pressurized air of some sort.