• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Great tank manufacturers

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I have been considering getting a 75 gallon tank. Petsmart has been offering packages that include tank and stand. I saw some 75 gallon w/ stand sales recently. My concern that I now have which honestly had not thought about with previous tanks, is build quality. Petsmart has 18 1 star reviews about Marineland related to the sealing of the 75 gallon tanks and instances of tank glass breaking. Can you recommend great tank manufacturer? What should I look for in a tank build to determine that it is able to hold water?

Becca

Members
You should reach out to Lisa at Super Cichlids. She has more Aqueon tanks than anyone and can give you the tea on them. I miss "All Glass Aquariums."

I *believe* that the tanks mass-produced for PetSmart and Petco are not necessarily of the same quality as tanks you'll see in showrooms of smaller stores, but I'm not sure. That may only apply to smaller sizes.

JLW

CCA Members
When you're looking at a smaller tank like a 75-gallon, the mass produced tanks are generally "good enough" quality, and all about equal, with the exception of Marineland -- that company has just fallen, and fallen, and fallen more and more through the years.

Aqueon, which was All Glass Aquarium, is one of the better makers. Deep Blue is a second best.

Of course, if you're really looking for something quality, you'll go with one of the better, smaller manufacturers that don't mass produce their tanks, but with smaller tanks like these, it just isn't cost effective.

One big word of warning I will share on the mass produced tanks is to beware their furniture quality. So many of them are using MDF and particle board to construct stands (pine is just ... gone). That works great, until ... y'know, it gets humidity or water on it. :( Dealing with a customer in that boat now -- he bought (not from me) a 400-gallon tank, and its on a MDF stand... its becoming less and less level.

Freakgecko

Members
When you're looking at a smaller tank like a 75-gallon, the mass produced tanks are generally "good enough" quality, and all about equal, with the exception of Marineland -- that company has just fallen, and fallen, and fallen more and more through the years.

Aqueon, which was All Glass Aquarium, is one of the better makers. Deep Blue is a second best.

Of course, if you're really looking for something quality, you'll go with one of the better, smaller manufacturers that don't mass produce their tanks, but with smaller tanks like these, it just isn't cost effective.

One big word of warning I will share on the mass produced tanks is to beware their furniture quality. So many of them are using MDF and particle board to construct stands (pine is just ... gone). That works great, until ... y'know, it gets humidity or water on it. :( Dealing with a customer in that boat now -- he bought (not from me) a 400-gallon tank, and its on a MDF stand... its becoming less and less level.
That’s absolutely terrifying to even think about

bossanova

Members
I have been considering getting a 75 gallon tank. Petsmart has been offering packages that include tank and stand. I saw some 75 gallon w/ stand sales recently. My concern that I now have which honestly had not thought about with previous tanks, is build quality. Petsmart has 18 1 star reviews about Marineland related to the sealing of the 75 gallon tanks and instances of tank glass breaking. Can you recommend great tank manufacturer? What should I look for in a tank build to determine that it is able to hold water?

the aqueon tanks are great value. If you wanted to go a little more high end, check these guys out:

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 45 gallon tank and stand from Glass Cages. Excellent quality - the stand is made of wood.