• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Gotta love working in DC...

JasonC

Members
You know its going to be a good day when you get to see Space Shuttle Discovery on its final flyby as you drive in. One of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen... too bad I was close to trees on Conn. Ave, and it only lasted for a couple of seconds.

I was guilty about the fact that I was running late for work.. then I saw that... and well, didn't really care that much anymore :lol:

mchambers

Former CCA member
Living in DC

It flew over DC at least twice. Here's a photo from my office, taken with my phone. My daughter said it went by her high school three times.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I also spent an hour or so watching the sky for Discover. Took a bunch of pics but it really was too far away. I did get one that was OK. You can even see a blur that is the fighter jet.

Discovery Spacecraft4:17 .jpg

JasonC

Members
I have friends who were on rooftops that said it was so close you could see the burnt up tiles on the bird from her last mission. Think news said it was cleared by the FAA to fly at 1500 feet... that is *clooooooose* I know when it went over me, it was definitely a not-so-dull roar.

Sigh... bittersweet though... the only reason it was done was because it is truly the end of a great era for the USA.

iamzrad

Members
My VA office is right down the street from Dulles Airport.
I snapped these right outside my office :)

Quite a sight to see, almost surreal.
7087535731_6b453f85e1_b.jpg

6941464328_f97404cee3_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamzrad/sets/72157629838751577/with/6941470584/

lonlangione

Members
It's moments like this that make me realize once again that this is the greatest country on earth. If only the people who "run" this country could figure that out. Thanks for sharing the pics Phil.

mscichlid

Founder
Nice pic Phil! Wow! How can that plane do that?

I should watch the news more. Didn't know a thing about this event.

Reminds me of my time in Florida. I got to see that sight flying low up the coast on its way to Canaveral several times. I also got to see it go up a few times.

Those days are gone now. It's a sad time for me, the end of an era when the U.S. was #1 in space exploration.

But I hope I live long enough to see commercial space travel become affordable.

Andy

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Its nice to be able to actually say you have actually seen it other then t.v and photos. you are seeing a moment in history. i remember driving on rt 17 in hampton, va one afternoon. my son who was 3 at the time said "daddy look at the spaceship!" i was like yeah isnt that nice. then all of a sudden i see a stealth bomber fly over heading towards langley. that evening it was all over the news about it being at langley air force base. pretty cool to see in person and up close.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I flew into Dulles last night...and there it was (all lit up)...

I only got a glimpse when we were landing and when were moving to the gate, but WOW!

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
Wow, lower case

Its nice to be able to actually say you have actually seen it other then t.v and photos. you are seeing a moment in history. i remember driving on rt 17 in hampton, va one afternoon. my son who was 3 at the time said "daddy look at the spaceship!" i was like yeah isnt that nice. then all of a sudden i see a stealth bomber fly over heading towards langley. that evening it was all over the news about it being at langley air force base. pretty cool to see in person and up close.
About 13 or 14 years ago, in October, my kids and I were in our backyard in DC when we heard a very loud plane flying overhead. I think my son thought it was the shuttle, but it clearly was a stealth bomber. I've never heard why it was flying so close to DC. A little unnerving, actually.