• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Gotta love working in DC...

thedavidzoo

Members
Before getting married (right out of college), and being carted all over with military moves, I was going to work for NASA. Many of my classmates did.
I sometimes still wonder "What if?", especially after seeing great videos such as this. I still get goosebumps looking at those awesome space shots, the unfathomable immensity of it all.

As a kid I always thought that by now we would be sooo much further technologically. I thought by the time I was 30 (quite a while back) we would be cruising around in levitating cars and have a base on the Moon and be heading to Mars. Childish innocence and dreams that come to a screeching halt when you see how the real world works, or in the case of the current state of affairs, DOESN'T work...Thanks "elected" officials and greedy corporations for screwing up my vision of the future and that of my kids...So there, my 1/2 cent.

If it weren't for NASA, I certainly would have had a different life. My dad worked there for a long time through the late 60s and 70s, as a solar physicist, involved with the un-manned missions, including the Viking mission to Mars. Nowadays, I'm sure they wouldn't even have a job for somebody like him.

dogofwar

CCA Members
There was a really bittersweet story on NPR about how all of the people associated with the Space Shuttle Program lost their jobs with the last mission. Great pride and comraderie...but also the reality of not having a job (many of them in their 50s).

I think that for many of us, NASA and US achievements in manned spacecraft (specifically getting to the moon and back) represent the pinnacle of technical achievement for Man....that when we work together as a nation that we can accomplish ANYTHING.... and why our current level of impasse / acrimony in Washington is so frustrating and dispiriting (at least for me).

Matt