• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Give me ideas on new stocking for SA tank

Tank is 58 gallon (36" long) fully planted tank with ABN pleco, cories, one girl apisto borelli, rummynoses and green fire tetras. All are staying. The five Bolivian rams are a different story. One is super dominant and picking on everything and two are hiding and while I have at least one female (had eggs once), no one is playing house. So I am thinking of getting rid of them, but don't know what else to put in. Basically, whatever is added must get along with current stock and not bother plants. Could do some combination of blue rams, laetacara, angels or a boyfriend for the apisto. But there might be options I've not considered. Your thoughts greatly appreciated (particularly if you have stock for sale that would work)!

MonteSS

Members
You may like Australoheros Oblongum. Not too comon and underated Cichlid. Colorful and not too aggresive. Stays under 6".

...Bill

MonteSS

Members
No they wont eat tetras or cories. They are gentle towards other fish, even when spawning. They dont like their own kind very much and are best kept as pairs. They bond very well.

I keep mine with Keyholes, tetras, and cories. Male get about 5" female about 3".

They are also known as Chameleon cichlids as they change their colors often and rapidly.

Go here for more pics of my pair.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3165

There is little known about these guys as they cant be found in the wild anymore. They are one of the first cichlids to be kept in aquariums. They can tolerate cooler temps but dont require it.

I happen to have 6 juvies left from 1.5-2" if you are interested.

ToddnBecka here also breed them, but I believe he is out of babies to sell ATM.

....Bill

Bill -- that sounds very interesting. Unfortunately, I can't access that photo album as I'm not a "full member" of that site or something or other . . .

So it sounds like a pair would be all that would work for my set-up. Are yours old enough to sex yet? Would it be possible to have a second cichlid pair with them i.e. laetecara, blue rams or a boyfriend for my apisto girl?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Holly,

The only non-African cichlids I currently have are a pair of cutteri and a pair of blond severums. The severums will probably eat your little guys and will mess with your plants. The cutteri may beat up on your fish... not sure. Anyone have any opinions?

If you want them, you can have them. :D

MonteSS

Members
Bill -- that sounds very interesting. Unfortunately, I can't access that photo album as I'm not a "full member" of that site or something or other . . .

So it sounds like a pair would be all that would work for my set-up. Are yours old enough to sex yet? Would it be possible to have a second cichlid pair with them i.e. laetecara, blue rams or a boyfriend for my apisto girl?

Yes a pair would be all I reccomend. One person I sold three to got a male and two females working out and breeding as a trio. Not sure how that will work out in the log run as these are pairing fish as far as I know and not harem.

The ones I have are slightly too young to start pairing up.

This species seems to be very mellow and tolerent of other species. They dont bother anyone. An Apisto pair might chase these guys around LOL.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6843

...Bill

jrpatter

Members
Well a couple different apistos preferable from different groups for bottom water. Some angels for mid and upper water.

toddnbecka

Members
I have some extra Gymnogeophagus "Norte" and "Catalan" on hand. Just found a pair of "Norte" with their first spawn last night, and have 3 other potential pairs sharing the tank with them. Also have 2m/2f "Catalan" in another tank that should be starting soon as well.
Honestly though, I'd recommend the oblongum for a 3' tank simply because I haven't had as much experience with the Gymno's yet. My oblongum pair spawned multiple times in a 30L, though I did have to move the pair out to allow the fry to grow out. They kept eating them when they were preparing to spawn again. There was a second pair of oblongum that shared the tank but never had a chance to spawn (before I swapped them off to Matt) because the spawning pair kept them pinned down in the far corner of the tank. No damage done, just wouldn't give them much space to move around.
Less colorful but more conspecific-tolerant would be Honduran red points. I had 3 pairs of them in a 38 and one pair spawned a couple times before I moved them along. They all got along quite well, not even a split fin among them.

After getting a recommendation about rainbow cichlids and doing some research, I ordered a pair from an Aquabid breeder. They should arrive by Wednesday or Thursday. It sounds like they'll be perfect. I'd like a second pair, but wanted to see how one works out first. I do still have two Bolivians in the tank (they are evading the big, bad net). I'm hoping I might be able to keep them along with the rainbows . . .

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how it goes!

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have some rainbows and bolivian rams together and getting along well...in a 20 long no less.

Good choice!

Matt

Matt -- if I decide another pair of rainbows will work, do you have a pair you might be willing to part with in the future?

The two Bolivians left, I believe, are both male. They were lip-locking yesterday and the loser is now seriously hiding. Sigh. I hate when fish hide. I even got more foreground plants to split up territories in front, but it doesn't seem to be helping their neighborliness . . .

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Holly,

Don't have any extras right now but hopefully will have little ones pretty soon...

I have a couple of spare (I think female) bolivian rams if you'd like them...

Matt

Matt -- a definitively female would be welcome. I know I had one out of the five (got eggs once) but couldn't tell which one and probably turned her in! Once I get the rainbows settled in, I'll see how the Bolivians are faring and maybe get a girlie from you! (or more rainbows). I'll have to see! :)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Just lemme know - consider them a trade for filter parts ;)

Matt

Matt -- a definitively female would be welcome. I know I had one out of the five (got eggs once) but couldn't tell which one and probably turned her in! Once I get the rainbows settled in, I'll see how the Bolivians are faring and maybe get a girlie from you! (or more rainbows). I'll have to see! :)