• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Giant Squid - some snow day entertainment

chriscoli

Administrator
Just in case you need some light education today, here's a brand new TED talk that I liked:

Edith Widder: How we found the giant squid
Humankind has been looking for the giant squid (Architeuthis) since we first started taking pictures underwater. But the elusive deep-sea predator could never be caught on film. Oceanographer and inventor Edith Widder shares the key insight -- and the teamwork -- that helped to capture the squid on film for the first time.
Edith Widder combines her expertise in research and technological innovation with a commitment to stopping and reversing the degradation of our marine environment

mchambers

Former CCA member
There is also a special TV show on this, on the Discovery channel. About 2 hours long. My wife and I watched it a few weeks ago. My wife, who is not a fish person, enjoyed it almost as much as I did.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
There is also a special TV show on this, on the Discovery channel. About 2 hours long. My wife and I watched it a few weeks ago. My wife, who is not a fish person, enjoyed it almost as much as I did.

I saw that. It was done really well. Kept me captivated all two hours.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I have seen both the short video and the 2 hr TV program and they are well worth your time to view them. Hard to believe they exist, of course the whalers in centuries past did see scars on the whales that were caused by these giant squid.

chriscoli

Administrator
I missed the Discovery channel program, but enjoyed the video.

I was blown away when she commented at the end when looking at the pictures they captured of the squid in full light that if it had its feeding tentacles extended, it would have been as tall as a 2-story house. I had to go over to the window (I'm sitting on the 2nd floor) and look down at the ground to put it into perspective. Day-um!